Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoot your carry ammo regularly

We are diminished
    If you don't have a case gauge, you can simply disassemble your pistol and use the barrel chamber. If it drops in the barrel all the way and falls out freely, it should be fine.

Well, I guess I better do this too. And I suppose I should stop chambering the same round. I usually do accuracy and function testing with potential carry loads, but I never really did much practice with it, but I guess I will start when I get back.

Speaking of practice, Todd, your avatar could use some more. I keep seeing a muzzle flash, but he keeps missing me. It's a pretty cool one.
    When in doubt, thirty out.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    WRT shooting ones carry ammo, you'd be surprised how many people keep chambering the same carry round, over and over, and you cannot change their minds.
    What's the problem with chambering the same round? I just don't see how that would be an issue...
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    What's the problem with chambering the same round? I just don't see how that would be an issue...
    It's possible for the bullet to be pushed back in to the case, a little bit, with each chambering. This is called setback. It can lead to a KB/ruptured case.

Do you have access to calipers? Measure the overall length of a new round and then chamber it 10 times, measuring its length each time. More than likely it will get shorter and shorter. This is a problem because it reduces internal case volume and thus will cause an increase in pressure.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

You guys are kidding about re-chambering, right?

This has been discussed numerous times, as noted by my post below on another forum:

"A large SWAT team in this area had a failure to fire from an M4 with Hornady TAP ammo during an entry--fortunately no officers were hurt and the suspect immediately threw down his weapon when the carbine went click instead of bang. After the incident was concluded, the team went to the range and expended the rest of their carbine ammo and had one additional failure to fire. This same team had 3 Hornady TAP rounds fail to fire in training a couple of years ago. When Pat Rogers was teaching a class at a nearby agency, there were 5 failures to fire using Hornady TAP ammo. In all 10 cases, there appeared to be good primer strikes, but no rounds fired. On analysis, the ammunition had powder and checked out otherwise.

However, despite what appeared to be good primer strikes, two problems were discovered. First, when accurately measured, some of the primer strikes had insufficient firing pin indentations. The failed round from the potential OIS incident had a primer strike of only .013"—the minimum firing pin indent for ignition is .017". In addition, the primers on the other rounds were discovered to have been damaged from repeated chambering. When the same cartridge is repeatedly chambered in the AR15, the floating firing pin lightly taps the primer; with repeated taps, the primer compound gets crushed, resulting in inadequate ignition characteristics--despite what appears to be a normal firing pin impression. Once a round has been chambered, DO NOT RE-CHAMBER IT for duty use. Do NOT re-chamber it again, except for training. This is CRITICAL!!!"
    The following was written by an experienced combat veteran in response to my post above:

"Pay attention to what DocGKR posted above because it could very well save your life.

My first shooting in Iraq i threw my M4A1 on semi and ATTEMPTED to fire a controlled pair (First round functioned striking the threat and the second round did not function) i then transitioned to my secondary (glock 19 shooting ball) and had a failure to fire on my first round. Eek...i was Waaaaaay behind the power curve at this point.

At this point i was contemplating all of my various bad life decisions which had lead me to that point in my life and grabbed an M240B and solved the problem.

I AM VERY LUCKY TO STILL BE UPRIGHT AND BREATHING TODAY....the cause of these malfunctions you ask? Repeated chamberings of the same ammo.
    I made a decision that day that my life was more important than following archaic rules written by those who sit behind desks and started shitcanning rounds after i was forced to clear weapons on U.S. Military installations."

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    It's possible for the bullet to be pushed back in to the case, a little bit, with each chambering. This is called setback. It can lead to a KB/ruptured case.
    Thanks, that makes sense. So does DocGKR's later post.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

I often shoot my carry ammo once every few months, if i unchamber the gun the next one up in the mag gets chambered and that one goes to the bottom.
    Chemist.

I was the rangemaster at my job for a few years. I'd swap out duty ammo yearly (I'd do it every sux months but we didn't have the funds for that, and yearly seemed to work).

We were supposed to shoot the old duty ammo during qual, but I'd catch guys trying to Bogart the ammo for use in off-duty guns or BUGs, simply because they were too cheap to buy JHPs.

One day when I was also still on the tac team here I forced all of the guys to dig out all of their hoarded carbine ammo and shoot it up during training. Some of these guys had hoarded the duty rifle ammo for three or more years.

In the very first course of fire, 14 shooters, 10 rounds each, we had like 16 rounds fail to fire due to dead primers.

These were the primary mags/ammo that the guys were carrying on duty, during raids, etc.

Site Supporter
    ... I feel continually like I'm so out of place.

Guys with .45 ACP Defensive ammo being around $25-30 a box for a box of 20, and the desire to dry fire practice daily...

How many rounds of defensive ammo do you guys buy?

I'm going to say it, I'd love to be able to never re-chamber a Speer Gold Dot, but... I just can't afford it.

I mean every time you practice, every time you unload to put in a snap cap, every time you dry fire, you eject a round, or you simply don't practice.

Should I never practice?

Because frankly, to an extent... that's the situation I'm ending up in.

How do you guys find a balance?

Honestly.

ETA: I mean it's kind of a tight rope to walk, know your platform, or compromise reliability.

User Tag List