Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoot your carry ammo regularly

Shoot your carry ammo regularly

Recently I've had an interesting experience that reinforced and changed my practice of shooting carry ammo. Generally when I pick new carry ammo, I shoot about 250 rounds of it for figuring reliability and POA/POI. Subsequently, when I practice with my training ammo, I throw a round that was chambered during carry into mix to avoid re-chambering the same carry round twice.
    I have a P7 that is coming up to 10K rounds, only stoppages I had were due to parts breakage. For some reason or another, I decided to go through a box of HSTs. To my annoyance, I had multiple failures to feed on last round it the mag - usually a sign of worn magazine spring. A slight increase in slide velocity with +P ammo over my regular training ammo was all that was needed to cause malfunctions. The theory was reinforced when gun went back to usual 100% reliability with all ammo after mag spring change.
    Despite added expense, I'll be shooting my carry ammo more often and in slightly larger volumes.

I usually shoot my "carry magazine" once a month or so.
    I have a carry ammo "cold drill" like the FAST or El Presidente.

Good idea. Shoot some longer range bullseye to get a real feel for where your carry ammo is hitting. Also shoot it in low light and then hand it off to a buddy so that you can watch from the side to see how your muzzle flash looks.

WRT shooting ones carry ammo, you'd be surprised how many people keep chambering the same carry round, over and over, and you cannot change their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    WRT shooting ones carry ammo, you'd be surprised how many people keep chambering the same carry round, over and over, and you cannot change their minds.
    Then you get the idiots on the other side of the fence that show up at the range, shoot all their carry ammo before testing their NEW carry ammo, find it doesn't work with their gun, and have to make a rush order for the old carry ammo from Midway.

Plus some new carry ammo to try out. (that shit gets expensive REALLY quick)

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    a little increased pressure never hurt anyone... wait maybe it has.

i will admit i was guilty of that in the past and probably dont shoot my carry ammo enough. i'm trying to drop some bad habits that i was made aware of by forums like this.

Both my wife and I shoot our carry ammo about once a month.
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I usually shoot my "carry magazine" once a month or so.
    I have a carry ammo "cold drill" like the FAST or El Presidente.
    Adopting this idea.
    #RESIST

I was shooting some of my carry ammo, and had one round that jammed my gun up (ammo was Winchester Ranger 147 grain). It turned out that the case over all length was to long and the round got stuck when it tried to chamber. Ever since this has happened I always run my carry ammo threw a case gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish25 View Post
    I was shooting some of my carry ammo, and had one round that jammed my gun up (ammo was Winchester Ranger 147 grain). It turned out that the case over all length was to long and the round got stuck when it tried to chamber. Ever since this has happened I always run my carry ammo threw a case gauge.
    Excellent suggestion

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

User Tag List