Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Army and the MHS??

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Ok second thing I thought right away, " they must of missed the military arms reliability testing"
    Damn, that comment sent Bud Light through the nose. LMAO

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    A modern Striker Fired Handgun with an optional Thumb Safety make it a logical choice for them IMO, I'll continue carrying my less cool Glocks
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    A modern Striker Fired Handgun with an optional Thumb Safety make it a logical choice for them IMO, I'll continue carrying my less cool Glocks
    Glocks are FBI cool.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-20-2017 at 09:35 AM.

IIRC, Sig and Beretta both passed the M9 selection process at an acceptable level. It was the "repair parts price" that the Army used to select the Beretta over the Sig (to keep Italy in NATO). It's entirely possible that both the Glock and Sig offering passed, the Sig could even have been less reliable but still have met the standards, and then other factors were used to make the final determination.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Anyone know how the manual safety works? Is it part of the grip module, and, if so, is the current Fire Control Module compatible?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I wonder if we'll be able to get a bunch of M9's from the CMP. I don't need one, but I wouldn't mind having one for old times sake.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It's part of the Frame Assembly/Fire Control Module. Existing non-safety frame assemblies (what SIG calls the serialized fire control module) are not compatible with the thumb safety as the safety requires an additional hole in the frame that is not present in the non-TS version. Grip modules (the plastic part the frame assembly is inserted into) for the TS models also have an additional hole that is not present in the non-TS models. Does that make sense and/or answer your question?

ETA: maybe SIG will start making all of the frame assemblies with that extra hole for the safety, but currently they do not.
    Confirms what I thought, thanks.

Concur about making all frame assemblies by whatever name with the safety hole, and in the full range of sizes/colors. Also, Caliber Exchange Kits need to be offered without a frame assembly.
    Medium size frame assemblies are going to be like Milspec AR15 grips, folks will be tying to find someone who wants a spare medium or three...

Edit to add: I wonder if troops will be authorized to swap frame assemblies themselves? Most arms rooms will only have mediums, I'm thinking those who need large or small will be well advised to have their own.
    Last edited by Drang; 01-22-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Confirms what I thought, thanks.

Edit to add: I wonder if troops will be authorized to swap frame assemblies themselves? Most arms rooms will only have mediums, I'm thinking those who need large or small will be well advised to have their own.
    I bet you will carry whatever Uncle gives you and if you try try to swap your own frame your nuts will wind up in a vice.

The idea of changing a weapon to fit an individual soldier will confuse the shit out of people.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I bet you will carry whatever Uncle gives you and if you try try to swap your own frame your nuts will wind up in a vice.

The idea of changing a weapon to fit an individual soldier will confuse the shit out of people.
    Part of the "Modular" in "Modular Handgun System" was some form of interchangeable grips to allow for customization. So...
    ARMORER: "Sir, your assigned weapon is handgun number xxxxxx."
    CAPTAIN SCHMUKATELLO: "I need a large frame assembly."
    ARMORER: "They're all assigned, sir."
    CAPTAIN S: "I have my own"
    ARMORER: "..."
    Note that the captain -- or Sergeant Major, or... -- can make the armorer's life pretty uncomfortable. "Unit Armorer" is usually a part time job, so maybe he'll spend all of the rest of his time detailing the latrines.

Now, this being the Army, they'll probably require the unit armorer to make the change, which is stupid, but, well, it's the Army, so requiring something like this to be done by the 20 year old kid who went to the one week class about doing the paperwork associated with the Arms Room is par for the course.
    Glenn Reynolds

I wouldn't be surprised if they consider swapping grips depot-level maintenance.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List