Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Army and the MHS??

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Why worry about how a projectile looks? Perhaps the focus should be on the military end-user requirements the projectile needs to meet in order to successfully complete the mission...
    I wasn't worried about how it looks. The truncated cone bullet is simply more accurate, in most cases, than a round nose.

At least, that has been my experience in shooting the two bullet types in both factory and reloaded trim in 9mmP.

LSP972: sorry about any miscommunication--my comment was not directed toward you at all, but rather the Big Army approach to MHS ammo up until this most recent change.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

No drama, Doc.

I'm just curious as to who, exactly, is pushing this caliber business; and why.

When John Garand's masterpiece was first proposed, in .280 caliber or something similar (i.e., smaller than .30), MacArthur flatly stated no way/no how. Supposedly because of the established wounding/killing history of the '06, but also due to the huge stocks of M2 ammunition in inventory. Plus, he was, like, the Cheif of Staff of the army.

My point here being, whoever IS behind it now either is working from a shaky premise, or is sufficiently far down the food chain to want to avoid sticking his neck out too far.

All, of which, of course, is totally irrelevant here; just the random curiousity of an old fart...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    No drama, Doc.

When John Garand's masterpiece was first proposed, in .280 caliber or something similar (i.e., smaller than .30), MacArthur flatly stated no way/no how. Supposedly because of the established wounding/killing history of the '06, but also due to the huge stocks of M2 ammunition in inventory. Plus, he was, like, the Cheif of Staff of the army.

My point here being, whoever IS behind it now either is working from a shaky premise, or is sufficiently far down the food chain to want to avoid sticking his neck out too far.

All, of which, of course, is totally irrelevant here; just the random curiousity of an old fart...

Good question. Somebody with clout is pushing this, but the question is who? Politician hoping for home state contracts? A powerful general? I haven't seen any recognizable clues.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    No problem, Doc.

Looks like there is movement on the MHS.

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/07/08...-day/#comments

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    A good explanation regarding the MHS : Weapons Man - "Why the Army's guns wear out and yours don't"

http://weaponsman.com/?p=23857

That was great; a man after my own heart. Now "subscribed"…

Thanks for the reference, HCM. I wonder how many other jewels of this nature I'm missing by virtue of being a computer troglodyte???

Good picture at the end of the comments.

User Tag List