Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Army and the MHS??

Big Army and the MHS??

Anyone heard any updates? While I haven't been keeping an eye out, so to speak, I have not noticed any new blogs (i.e., uninformed speculation), or anything else new, for that matter, regarding this "program". There has been zilch about the "industry day" sponsored by the army back at the end of July.

So, while interesting, I have to wonder if this Modular Handgun System deal is nothing more than the dream sheet of a Pentagon bureaucrat or some think-tank type. Because you KNOW that any trials will be an epic exercise in… bureaucracy.

Everybody knows that the military is going to the .40 because the 9mm sucks.

Or was it the .45 again?

Anyway, I haven't seen a thing lately.

They got so much feedback from SMEs across the Army about 9mm being sufficient and the requirements being skewed toward Hk that they're taking a tactical pause. Just a guess.

No..............I would guess they are preparing more levels of stupid and not listening to any voices of reason.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Screw the guns.

Let me know when Big Military starts taking pistol training seriously. 50 rounds per year of M9 quals is a Greek tragedy.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Everybody knows that the military is going to the .40 because the 9mm sucks.

Or was it the .45 again?

Anyway, I haven't seen a thing lately.
    Highly informed guy at the gun show told me that the Army wants a .45, the Marine Corps wants a .45, the SEALS want a .45, but the military wants a 9.
    The field grade and flag officers pushing the MHS have probably been pink slipped.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Screw the guns.

Let me know when Big Military starts taking pistol training seriously. 50 rounds per year of M9 quals is a Greek tragedy.
    We all know that PV2. Joe Schmuckatelli III will be so much better off with a .40 S&W or .45 ACP, right? The mouthbreathers on the Internet told me so!

Screw the guns.

Nah--it's merely absurd, which Big Army does very well.

The Greek tragedy is coming over the next few years as more and more of the current Pentagon budget is diverted to "green energy" projects that seek to repeal the first law of thermodynamics, and unfunded deployments throughout the world to build schools in Kenya or stop Ebola in Liberia or provide logistical support for favored social and political movements elsewhere.

Every penny of that will have to come from things that can be cut--and fuel and ammo are two non-fixed costs that can, and will be, cut. Expect to see many units get no pistol ammo for several years in a row and maybe 100 rounds of 5.56 per man per year. The Carter administration showed how that could be done 35 years ago.

As for a new pistol--no way, except if it will be made in a politically connected Congressional district.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    We all know that PV2. Joe Schmuckatelli III will be so much better off with a .40 S&W or .45 ACP, right? The mouthbreathers on the Internet told me so!
    Hey! The only reason he has to breath through his mouth is that his nose was fuzed shut by all the mustard gas he inhaled when he had to rescue the Obama girls and 20 Navy SEALS from a secret island terrorist hideout. He's only living in his mom's basement until he recovers.

Screw the guns.

The 50 rounds thing is kind of unit dependent. In the hard charging Armor and Cav units I was a part of, we probably got to shoot a whole 100 (count em - 2 whole boxes) of 9mm ball every year!

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Hey! The only reason he has to breath through his mouth is that his nose was fuzed shut by all the mustard gas he inhaled when he had to rescue the Obama girls and 20 Navy SEALS from a secret island terrorist hideout. He's only living in his mom's basement until he recovers.

The 50 rounds thing is kind of unit dependent. In the hard charging Armor and Cav units I was a part of, we probably got to shoot a whole 100 (count em - 2 whole boxes) of 9mm ball every year!
    My son's unit's deployment last year to a notorious region in RC-East (AFG) was so quiet for so many they ran a lot of ranges to keep the guys from going crazy. (an FSO I know however was busy) I saw a few pics from their M9 range running guys through shooting from laying on the ground on their backs, on their sides . . . a little innovation. One of the pics of a SNCO running his gun with a very modern ISO and high thumbs was a clue. So you never know.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List