Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About 30mm Scope Mounts

Let's Talk About 30mm Scope Mounts

For a AR15 based rifle hard use, some competition, mainly a do all rifle.

*What are your preferences and why?

*What's considered GTG?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Let's Talk About 30mm Scope Mounts

Larue
    ADM
    Bobro

All have good QD locking systems and return to zero. My preferences are for the Larue and Bobro mounts over the ADM mounts... Fit, finish and tension are better.
    Last edited by SamuelBLong; 10-20-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

ADM and Bobro do, Larue not so much in my experience. GDI is another on the good list(but expensive). If you have an uninterrupted rail like a Colt 6940, the US Optics mount is one of the very best IMO. Its also pricey but it is a TANK!(Only caution here is the rail has to be a quality, in spec rail. It was really made for precision rifles.) For applications where I need the extension, I use the Bobro mount.

Thanks for your input gents. I think I'm going to lean towards the LaRue, I can purchase a rmr mount that is integrated with the ring half and not run the iron sights to conserve room on my 8" 300blk upper. If I switch out to a longer barrel the irons will go back on. Besides mounting the rmr to the ring will let me not switch out between a rmr or scope, return to zero looks to be a non issue then.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Thanks for your input gents. I think I'm going to lean towards the LaRue, I can purchase a rmr mount that is integrated with the ring half and not run the iron sights to conserve room on my 8" 300blk upper. If I switch out to a longer barrel the irons will go back on. Besides mounting the rmr to the ring will let me not switch out between a rmr or scope, return to zero looks to be a non issue then.

I like Larue mounts, but I have an ADM on my .308 AR (got it as a package with the scope). The optic setup that was on the gun prior to this most recent changeover was using the Larue mount with RMR ring half like you describe (Nightforce 2.5-10 with a Docter micro dot). Let me save you the money...it sucks balls. If you're going to do a secondary dot, either mount it low and on a 45deg offset or high and directly in-line with your bore. High and offset? Never again.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Any thoughts on the Burris PEPR QD mount? I've heard good noise about them, especially for the price. But frankly, I trust the opinions of the guys and gals here much more.
    http://notonemoregunlaw.blogspot.com/

Oops 20 minutes too late on the rmr mount, thanks for the heads up for those reading this thread. I had already purchased it right after my above post.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Foxtrot View Post
    Any thoughts on the Burris PEPR QD mount? I've heard good noise about them, especially for the price. But frankly, I trust the opinions of the guys and gals here much more.
    For a non QD mount, I've heard better things about the lightweight mount from Aero Precision.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/sto...l.aspx?pid=213

I just got in one of the Aero mounts. Well, I actually have three at my house now, one "standard" that came on a borrowed optic, one SPR that I ordered because the standard seemed too short, and one of the Aimpoint mounts.

Some people think it's "dumb" to have a non-QD mount and BUIS, but the rifle that gets this scope will get both, and the neat little wrench that Aero gives you with the mount will go in my range bag. QD? No, but at least if I get to a match or a class to discover that something is wrong with the optic I'll be able to detach it and keep going.

The weight of the Aero is attractive to me, but even moreso is the very slim and unobtrusive form. Plus, they don't seem to have been around long enough to instill a bunch of hysteria in people the way the throwlever brands do.

Rob,

That Aero 30mm mount caught my eye. Weight is impressive as well as the minimalist design.

Do you see any weakness at the top of the rings with the way the two halves lock into to each other?

It looks so simple but my brain is just saying it's has to be fragile. It's not, I'm sure - but.....

Any opinion?

Thanks
    Harold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List