Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

You can get a 10 INCH difference in POI by using a 147gr. bullet instead of a 124gr.??? Sounds kinda crazy to me. I've never seen even close to that much of a difference by switching bullet weights...

We recently had a chance to shoot 10 rd groups of 147 gr, 124 gr, and 115 gr projectiles at 25 yds on the same target from the same G19 pistol. The 147 gr was centered on the X, the 124 gr was about mid 9 ring, and the 115 gr was around the junction of the 7-8 rings. About a 2" change per ammo type. This is NOT the first time we have run such a test. We have NEVER seen a 10" shift at 25 yds when using the same pistol to fire various service caliber ammo loads of differing projectile weights and velocities.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We recently had a chance to shoot 10 rd groups of 147 gr, 124 gr, and 115 gr projectiles at 25 yds on the same target from the same G19 pistol. The 147 gr was centered on the X, the 124 gr was about mid 9 ring, and the 115 gr was around the junction of the 7-8 rings. About a 2" change per ammo type. This is NOT the first time we have run such a test. We have NEVER seen a 10" shift at 25 yds when using the same pistol to fire various service caliber ammo loads of differing projectile weights and velocities.
    That lines up more with what I'd expect, relatively speaking. The absolutes are interesting though. I would have guessed that Glock factory zero and sight height was based on 25 yards with 124gr ammo. Did this G19 have sights whose height matched that of the ones it came with? 2" absolute at 25 yards could be explained by all sorts of things, hardware independent, but I'm just curious.

Okay... The 54226 arrived today. The labels on each side are the same except for the 54226 v 54227.

The 227 (agency provided) is stamped 14 and appears to be shorter. It's on the left. I chose random rounds front the 226 and all were longer. Not sure if they are longer bullets or just loaded longer. The 226 is stamped 13.

Interesting about the loaded length. Growing pains with a new production line maybe? Would be very interested to see if they clock similar numbers on a chrono.

What is the cliff notes version why this is enough better than the Gold Dot 124+P, to warrant a change with the attendant reliability checks and sight regulations checks that accompany the switch in a carry load?

Since I am always interested in penetration on four legged creatures, any sense whether this new load or the 124 +P is likely to penetrate better on a skull?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Okay... The 54226 arrived today. The labels on each side are the same except for the 54226 v 54227.

The 227 (agency provided) is stamped 14 and appears to be shorter. It's on the left. I chose random rounds front the 226 and all were longer. Not sure if they are longer bullets or just loaded longer. The 226 is stamped 13.

Do you reload? Sacrifice one round of each and measure the projectiles and then you will see if one is just loaded longer than the other. Shoot send me one round of each and I'll do it lol. I have the tools to pull the rounds apart and the calipers to measure.
    Energy goes where attention flows.

"Since I am always interested in penetration on four legged creatures, any sense whether this new load or the 124 +P is likely to penetrate better on a skull?"
    The 147 gr G2.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The 147 gr G2.
    Thanks. Any idea how it penetrates compared to quality .40 and .45 acp JHP loads? It would be really neat if I could get rid of the .40 and .45 pistols, where there is some chance of a four leg problem, and just maintain 9 and 10mm.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thanks. Any idea how it penetrates compared to quality .40 and .45 acp JHP loads? It would be really neat if I could get rid of the .40 and .45 pistols, where there is some chance of a four leg problem, and just maintain 9 and 10mm.
    Wouldn't one of several avail FMJ 9mm loads deliver even more penetration?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List