Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Do FI’s have access to the detailed data?
    Full data no. I know you are aware of the recent test results.

I was always surprised the 43 was approved and the first 43 we put in service had to malfunctions in a 50 round Qual with plus P gold dot124. The shooter was a former FI and Academy PT instructor so I don’t think it was a grip issue.?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    It’s both reasons. My agency basically does whatever the FBI does, and we dropped the G2 because of the inconsistent performance/expansion out of the G43’s.
    Thanks for the info and clarifying the background. I decided to hold off buying the G2, had to make a decision and it seems like there's still enough doubt, I wasn't willing to buy a whole case of it on the chance it would have reliability issues in one or more of my pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Full data no. I know you are aware of the recent test results.

I was always surprised the 43 was approved and the first 43 we put in service had to malfunctions in a 50 round Qual with plus P gold dot124. The shooter was a former FI and Academy PT instructor so I don’t think it was a grip issue.?
    I tend to geek out on the details of ballistics and durability/reliability testing. It would be nice to read through the reports but I understand why they don’t release them to people without a need to know. If they did, copies would be on the internet within minutes of being posted and manufacturers would be scrambling to put out the PR fires of why so-and-so gun failed such-and-such testing.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I tend to geek out on the details of ballistics and durability/reliability testing. It would be nice to read through the reports but I understand why they don’t release them to people without a need to know. If they did, copies would be on the internet within minutes of being posted and manufacturers would be scrambling to put out the PR fires of why so-and-so gun failed such-and-such testing.
    It's more an armorer thing than an FI thing but you are spot on. Full results are normally under NDA.

@DocGKR

I've seen the literature from Speer regarding this G2 147 PT load and it says that it's meant for full size pistols. Without a sort of range of barrel lengths it's sort of hard to gauge at what point this load stops being optimal for the shorter barrels. I'd estimate anything around 4" and up would be good but that is really the territory of what most would call 'compact' service pistols. Can you weigh in on this? I just bought 150 rounds of this before realizing that the pistols I was intending to carry with were a VP9 (4.09" barrel) and P2000 (3.66" barrel). The P2000 has me concerned but I suspect the VP9 would be just fine.

Should work fine in barrels 3.5-5".
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Thank you, Doc!

Any word on the G2 Gold Dot 180 Gr. .40 S&W loading, yet? Wondering if I should wait to grab some of it when it's back in stock or just go for some HST at $40 per 50 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    What is recommended if you go below that 3.5" threshold in 9mm? Your list of acceptable loads doesn't really qualify barrel lengths so it's hard to tell. Something like the Federal HST Micro seems like a good choice but obviously not on the list.

All tests are done with a 4" barrel, which means there is minimal change from 3.5-5" barrels.

Not too many duty guns w/barrels below 3.5"....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

It now being the middle of 2023, how is modern-production Gold Dot G2 147gr 9mm performing? Are the issues with performance seen early on still a thing, or is it one of the best duty/defense 9mm loadings out there?

Is anyone familiar with any recent valid testing and/or OIS results showing how it is performing in the present day? I figured it'd be more proper to ask in an old thread rather than make a new one.

User Tag List