Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Sorry to reactivate an old thread, but lots of good (past) anecdotal info in here about Speer G2. Decided not to create a new thread. There's also some performance data about it in Doc's 147gr duty load sticky thread:

9 mm 147 gr duty load testing (pistol-forum.com)

I have an opportunity to buy a case of it, where it'd be used in my M&P 4" compacts, Sig p365, and 1911 Commanders. I already have a pretty good stash of Federal HST 147gr. But can't find more of it in any quantity.

Is there any kind of consensus today on the state of the Speer G2? Is it good to go and Speer corrected the earlier issues, or is it still kind of mixed, with good results for some but others reporting problems with expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Sorry to reactivate an old thread, but lots of good (past) anecdotal info in here about Speer G2. Decided not to create a new thread. There's also some performance data about it in Doc's 147gr duty load sticky thread:

9 mm 147 gr duty load testing (pistol-forum.com)

I have an opportunity to buy a case of it, where it'd be used in my M&P 4" compacts, Sig p365, and 1911 Commanders. I already have a pretty good stash of Federal HST 147gr. But can't find more of it in any quantity.

Is there any kind of consensus today on the state of the Speer G2? Is it good to go and Speer corrected the earlier issues, or is it still kind of mixed, with good results for some but others reporting problems with expansion?
    I know that the FBI prohibits the use of the G2 ammunition in G43s and G43Xs due to performance issues out of the short barrels. Those guns have to be loaded with 135gr +P Critical Duty.

I picked up a box of the new stuff before the ammo shortage and price jumped to ridiculous prices I’ve yet to test it in gel but the old original G2 I had and tested had lots of inconsistencies in expanding, ended up sending the rest back to ATK/Speer, of course they tested it and supposedly had better results than mine, but one of these days I’ll get out and test the new stuff...I’d have no issues carrying the new stuff even with out testing it for consistency in expansion, I really love the critical duty rounds performance especially when you remove the polymer tip...

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I know that the FBI prohibits the use of the G2 ammunition in G43s and G43Xs due to performance issues out of the short barrels. Those guns have to be loaded with 135gr +P Critical Duty.
    That’s interesting regarding the Hornady Critical Duty being used for short barreled guns. Last I heard, Hornady didn’t recommend Critical Duty for short barreled pistols as they didn’t have enough velocity for reliable expansion. Did Hornady change the construction of their bullet?

From the ballistic testing I saw in person when Speer G2 was new, the load’s penetration & expansion was fine in bare gel (13.75-14.75”) and heavy clothing (13-14”). Each event was 3 shots with the G43.

However, G2 through a G43 when shooting through auto glass was on the short side (10-12”). Admittedly the 10” penetration was in a gel block that was a couple degrees (colder) below the specified range. The 12” penetration was in a gel block whose temp was within spec.

Site Supporter
    My understanding is the FBI restriction on G2 in the 43/43X is primarily related to reliability concerns in the mini Glocks rather than terminal ballistics.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My understanding is the FBI restriction on G2 in the 43/43X is primarily related to reliability concerns in the mini Glocks rather than terminal ballistics.
    Ah I see. I did see failures to feed with G2 in my G43 with a worn recoil spring and magazine springs. A fresh recoil spring and changing out the mag springs seemed to make the issue go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Ah I see. I did see failures to feed with G2 in my G43 with a worn recoil spring and magazine springs. A fresh recoil spring and changing out the mag springs seemed to make the issue go away.
    It’s both reasons. My agency basically does whatever the FBI does, and we dropped the G2 because of the inconsistent performance/expansion out of the G43’s.

I've yet to see any, but for 2020 Speer announced a 135 G2 with a listed velocity of 1120 from a 4" barrel. Looking forward to seeing some valid tests of this one.

https://www.speer.com/ammunition/han.../19-24260.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Anecdotal and my agency's test data suggest the G43/43X are ammo sensitive. More issues with 147 grain and +P ammo. We recently tested the 43X/48. TLDR the result is not only were they not approved but we are no longer authorizing new G43s.

Anecdotal and my agency's test data suggest the G43/43X are ammo sensitive. More issues with 147 grain and +P ammo. We recently tested the 43X/48. TLDR the result is not only were they not approved but we are no longer authorizing new G43s.
    Do FI’s have access to the detailed data?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List