Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

I’ve loaded/unloaded a mag 30 times to see what would happen to the bullets. Some bullets lost quite a bit of elastomer, but none lost all of it.

Concerned, I contacted my agency’s factory rep and was told that as long as some elastomer is present, even if a bit flakes off, the bullet will still perform through barriers. Worst case, if the elastomer is completely removed, the only event it won’t perform as advertised is through auto glass.

I was also told current production G2 should have an updated elastomer tip that is more flush with the nose of the hollowpoint to help mitigate damage. Agencies that have received recent shipments of G2 (since October/November-ish) should have gotten this updated round.
    Last edited by Backspin; 01-28-2018 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Pieces flake off when unloading them from my mags. This concerns me.
    I don't mean to be a dick, just trying to learn but why do you unload mags?

Taking it to the range and switching to range ammo.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Taking it to the range and switching to range ammo.
    Purchase more magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Purchase more magazines.
    If you're such a big time spender, you can purchase mags for me. Otherwise...
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    The Federal HST does have a cannelure which can help "bond" the jacket to the lead core. I think a cannelure may have helped the Federal 147 gr. Hydra-Shok in .38 Special +P+ outperform the 9mm version in FBI barrier testing.
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...bi-ammo-tests/Attachment 17720
    This article is very interesting to read. Thanks for the post.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Well I decided to try out the G2 again today into gel, with 4 layers of material I put together for testing, same results again three rounds failed to expand and went almost 30" just not impressed with this ammo, now all the other rounds all worked perfectly.. regular Golddots, HST, CriticalDuty 135g+p with out the polymer plug, which I was surprised they all expanded and penetrated 16"
    Last edited by lyodbraun; 02-10-2018 at 11:32 AM.

If you're such a big time spender, you can purchase mags for me. Otherwise...
    I am old, disabled, trying to get by on SS and my house, contents, vehicles flooded in Louisiana August 2016. Prior to the flood I would have given a Glock magazine to someone in need.
    I had to sell most of my firearms collection due to no flood insurance so I will not be able to donate any magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Has there been an official recall? ATK is dumping some sort of G2.

Pulling up this necro thread because a LGS has a mountain of this stuff, the 147gr G2, same reclassified "not for duty use" white box packaging as show above, gold primers, '18 headstamp.

Not thinking of it as carry ammo, but for 350 rounds at 69.00 per box, I am tempted to go load the bus with this stuff as practice ammo.

Just wondering if anybody has purchased and shot a quantity of the reclassified G2 and if it was worthy as practice ammo. The price is certainly right.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Pulling up this necro thread because a LGS has a mountain of this stuff, the 147gr G2, same reclassified "not for duty use" white box packaging as show above, gold primers, '18 headstamp.

Not thinking of it as carry ammo, but for 350 rounds at 69.00 per box, I am tempted to go load the bus with this stuff as practice ammo.

Just wondering if anybody has purchased and shot a quantity of the reclassified G2 and if it was worthy as practice ammo. The price is certainly right.
    I’d snag more of that if I could. I bought a couple cases of the recalled stuff when it was 1050 rounds for under $200. At the time it was cheaper than FMJ. It cycled fine and I wish I could find more of it.

I also bought a case of regular (not recalled) G2 back when a case was $480. Then the price jumped to $580, and the other day I looked and saw it was $980!!

User Tag List