Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    Why not just say where you bought it?
    Sorry, just didn't think it was appropriate, others before me didn't say, I thought that was odd, since that was my 1st post here, I didn't know much about this site, didn't want to askew advertisers. Not to mention, most cannot buy from them.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysam View Post
    Sorry, just didn't think it was appropriate, others before me didn't say, I thought that was odd, since that was my 1st post here, I didn't know much about this site, didn't want to askew advertisers. Not to mention, most cannot buy from them.
    I understand. Reasonable. Thank you.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I remain unimpressed with synthetic gel. Note that NONE are "FBI spec" and to the best of my knowledge NONE have been correlated with living tissue.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

A police supply LGS has recently begun selling the G2 in black box, item # 54226. It is not marked or priced as recalled training only ammo ($33.99/50 rd box). Is the post-recall white box version of this loading now being packaged in the original black boxes with original item #?

Quote Originally Posted by Ananth View Post
    A police supply LGS has recently begun selling the G2 in black box, item # 54226. It is not marked or priced as recalled training only ammo ($33.99/50 rd box). Is the post-recall white box version of this loading now being packaged in the original black boxes with original item #?
    I was told the new improved Speers G2 would be sold in the black boxes as they were before. Many entities are selling the new G2 now. I also picked out the glue off of a few dozen or so of the old G2. Next time I go feral hog hunting, I'll shoot the old G2 with and without the epoxy caps into a cadaver hogs tissue. I was led to believe the epoxy aids in the old G2's expansion. I like to see things myself as to what's what. If the solution to the old G2's woes are as simple as removing that epoxy cap, they are very easy to remove. Time will tell all...

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysam View Post
    I was told the new improved Speers G2 would be sold in the black boxes as they were before. Many entities are selling the new G2 now. I also picked out the glue off of a few dozen or so of the old G2. Next time I go feral hog hunting, I'll shoot the old G2 with and without the epoxy caps into a cadaver hogs tissue. I was led to believe the epoxy aids in the old G2's expansion. I like to see things myself as to what's what. If the solution to the old G2's woes are as simple as removing that epoxy cap, they are very easy to remove. Time will tell all...
    I've seen it explained as the tooling used in production was not cutting to the proper depth. Removing the gel won't fix anything. The gel is there to improve and assist with expansion. If they were recalled for not expanding with the gel, how will removing it make it better?

Disclaimer: I used Clear Ballistics gel when “testing” the Speer G2 rounds here not standard ordnances gel. I don’t have the time, money, resource, or desire to go through the process of making the real stuff. With that out of the way, here are some results of some recent production Speer 9mm 147gr G2.

This is the real deal new production 2016 Speer 9MM 147gr G2. It would appear that Speer has worked out their problems they had with this bullet when it first came out. I shot it out of a Glock 19 into clear gel. It was shot it into bare gel, heavy clothing, heavy denim, and a leather jacket.

Attachment 15067

The two rounds fired into bare gel had a velocity of 971 and 977fps and penetrated to 17 and 15.25 inches with expansion of .633 and .635 inches.

Attachment 15068

The impact velocity into the heavy clothing was 970 and 974fps. Penetrating was 15 and 16 inches with expansion of .653 and .647 inches.

Attachment 15069

I was pretty happy with the performance so a few days later I decided to try it out in the heavy denim. Most of the ammo I have tried has not done well in this teat and the G2 was no exception. Both bullets passed completely through two 16 inch blocks of gel and where not recovered. Velocity of the two rounds was 980 and 976fps. I picked up an old leather jacket last month for $10 and gave the G2 a shot at it. The bullets had a velocity of 950 and 951fps. Penetration was 15 and 18 inches with an expanded diameter of .690 and .634 inches.

Attachment 15069

All in all I would say they did pretty good. I’m not sure they are a big leap in performance considering there is ammo out there that will do this well already. I would have been more impressed if it had done well in the heavy denim.

A few days later I got around to trying the G2 Gold Dots in my Kahr MK9 with a three inch barrel. Pretty inconsistent results. The round on the left had a velocity of 878fps and penetrated to 14.5 inches. The second round had a velocity of 886fps and penetrated to 16 inches. The final bullet on the right had a velocity of 878fps and completely penetrated the 16 inch block and had no expansion at all.

Attachment 15070

Oops. This was supposed to be the third picture of the bullets through the leather jacket.

Attachment 15082

Can anyone indicate how to reliably distinguish the older G2's that had issues with the newer stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    Can anyone indicate how to reliably distinguish the older G2's that had issues with the newer stuff?
    I doubt there is much of the recalled stuff for sale. Kiesler's and others sold it at bargain prices (1,050 rounds for $199).

But to answer your question, the recalled ammo had silver/nickel colored primers. The new stuff has gold colored primers.

User Tag List