Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Well finally got to the range and tested the new gold dots, well I was not impressed at all, I had three pass completely thru the gel block, and couldnt not find those, only found one, that I dug the polymer out of to see if they would expand and stay in the gel, next time I'll have to use two blocks...

Last edited by lyodbraun; 03-09-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Greaaaaatttt...If only we had a choice on what to carry or management who would pay attention to the data so far. I know it beats a sharp stick and harsh language, but I prefer life saving equipment that works as designed.

Enough whining from me, is there a more formal evaluation of the GD 2.0s or did I miss it in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Well finally got to the range and tested the new gold dots, well I was not impressed at all, I had three pass completely thru the gel block, and couldnt not find those, only found one, that I dug the polymer out of to see if they would expand and stay in the gel, next time I'll have to use two blocks...

What kind of gel? Did you follow all the protocols? If so that's troubling.

I'm curious as to "what gel?", any barriers involved, etc.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

It was clear ballistics gel and no barriers used I figured if it wasn't going to expand thru bare then no need to use denim or anything else.. I know clear gel isn't the best or protocol, I had a back stop behind the gel and they passed right thru it... Next time I'll take both blocks of gel in hopes of catching them?

I'm finding that the clear gel gives, or allows, greater penetration than standard FBI spec gel does. As an example, the 124gr +P Gold Dot, well known as a good duty load that goes 13-15" in most heavy clothing FBI gel tests, will blow right through my 18" clear gel block and the bullet will be lost if I don't put something behind the block to catch the bullet.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 03-10-2016 at 06:32 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm finding that the clear gel gives, or allows, greater penetration than standard FBI spec gel does. As an example, the 124gr +P Gold Dot, well known as a good duty load that goes 13-15" in most heavy clothing FBI gel tests, will blow right through my 18" clear gel block and the bullet will be lost if I don't put something behind the block to catch the bullet.
    Yes I found out the same when testing some .45 Gold dots in clear gel they'd pass right thru Even though they were fully expanded..

I couldn't resist getting in on that 1050 rounds of the surplused G2 It was $199 and $14 shipping. It's a very good deal as I cant buy range ammo for that, in fact range ammo runs me well over $.25 per; after tax or shipping. And that's usually 115gr FMJ nonsense. This G2 is still high quality ammo 147gr ammo, paper targets won't care if they don't expand. I was grateful the merchant sold to retired military folks like me. It wasn't Eagle, in fact Eagle told me they couldn't sell it for that price I paid. The first letter of the vendor name I bought mine from was K

Christy told me the surplus G2 was flying off the shelves last Friday, they did however also have a good stock of the new G2. Ordered it Friday, it was delivered on Monday, the FedEx driver never rings the bell if the box has a black and white diamond munitions sticker, he hates heavy boxes.

In fact he dropped it, literally, and it pretty far from my door, 10' from my outside foyer, he split the box plopping it down. I was at the neighbors next door watching him, he sucks but it was still funny. UPS is way better, our local driver is a retired exotic dancer. I like her more than the FedEx guy.

Truthfully, I rarely shoot 9mm, and my 9mm loads I stock for my back up and rarely used 9mm is Ranger T's, HST's and Barnes. The G2 only means I'll be shooting my 9mm for fun at the range with friends. My EDC is a .45 and every now and again I'll dust off the cobwebs from my 9mm. I only keep it as it was my 1st Glock, bought well before they had captured guide-rods. I did buy a gen 2 as I prefer to let early adopters iron out the wrinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysam View Post
    I couldn't resist getting in on that 1050 rounds of the surplused G2 It was $199 and $14 shipping. It's a very good deal as I cant buy range ammo for that, in fact range ammo runs me well over $.25 per; after tax or shipping. And that's usually 115gr FMJ nonsense. This G2 is still high quality ammo 147gr ammo, paper targets won't care if they don't expand. I was grateful the merchant sold to retired military folks like me. It wasn't Eagle, in fact Eagle told me they couldn't sell it for that price I paid. The first letter of the vendor name I bought mine from was K

Christy told me the surplus G2 was flying off the shelves last Friday, they did however also have a good stock of the new G2. Ordered it Friday, it was delivered on Monday, the FedEx driver never rings the bell if the box has a black and white diamond munitions sticker, he hates heavy boxes.

In fact he dropped it, literally, and it pretty far from my door, 10' from my outside foyer, he split the box plopping it down. I was at the neighbors next door watching him, he sucks but it was still funny. UPS is way better, our local driver is a retired exotic dancer. I like her more than the FedEx guy.

Truthfully, I rarely shoot 9mm, and my 9mm loads I stock for my back up and rarely used 9mm is Ranger T's, HST's and Barnes. The G2 only means I'll be shooting my 9mm for fun at the range with friends. My EDC is a .45 and every now and again I'll dust off the cobwebs from my 9mm. I only keep it as it was my 1st Glock, bought well before they had captured guide-rods. I did buy a gen 2 as I prefer to let early adopters iron out the wrinkles.
    Why not just say where you bought it?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    Why not just say where you bought it?
    I'd suppose Kiesler's. They've got it for sale.

http://www.kiesler.com/police/produc...2044&pid=26327
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 03-18-2016 at 05:00 PM.

User Tag List