Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If you wanna e-mail me the picks I'll post them for you.
    Sent by a member of the local LEA FTU.

Name:  G2expanded#2.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  17.2 KBName:  G2expanded.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  16.7 KB
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Does this bullet do something the other 9MM loads on the list don't?

(Spare me the "yeah, it doesn't expand" jokes please.)
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I believe that the theory was that--on average--it would have better expansion and penetration than anything else and would do well on barriers.

But, as Doc says, it is still early days.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Interesting article.

http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...-at-SHOT-Show/

"The G2 bullet starts life the same way as the traditional Gold Dot bullet, as a lead core with an electrochemically-bonded copper jacket. A star-shaped punch is used to stab the bullet's nose and cut all the way through the jacket, forming stress risers. At the base of these cuts is a circular ring around the outside of the jacket that Speer engineers call the "hinge," whose purpose is to limit the amount of expansion as the petals of the bullet open up.

Interestingly, when the bullet is run through the final shaping dies, there is only a shallow dish of a cavity left in the nose. This dish is filled with liquid elastomer, which hardens as it cures. Upon bullet impact, this plug forces the bullet to open up along its star-shaped fissures and initiate the expansion that is limited by the hinge.

Since expansion is mechanically driven, and not hydrostatically driven (as it is on the standard Gold Dot), the G2 bullet performs more consistently after penetrating barriers, which can plug or deform open cavity designs and alter penetration depth.

In fact, Speer engineers tell me that penetration consistently reaches the 14 to 16 inch optimum range of the new FBI standards. This exceeds the typical 12 to 14 inch penetration achieved by the older Gold Dot, which was engineered to meet an earlier specification that could sometimes encourage shallower penetration.

The new G2 bullet will be loaded into nickel cases using low flash powders, and will initially be offered as a 147 grain 9mm, a 180 grain .40 S&W, and a 230 grain .45 ACP +P."
    New FB I penetration standards. I can't recall seeing explanations out and about re those or why that came to be. Is that years old news or what?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The FBI penetration standard remains 12-18".
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Spoke with an agent today. The FBI has issued a recall for the G2 ammo. They are using the Winchester Ranger in the mean time.

Haven't seen anyone answer this, but I was getting 988-1000 through a Glock 17.

They have the consistency part down from a velocity standpoint if they can get the other issues fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Sparks, the ones I shot in the water tank yesterday must have been from that same "bad" batch. Spotty to none expansion, yet they didn't "penetrate" into the tank any further than other various JHPs I've fired into that same tank. These cartridges came from a friend interested in this stuff; no clue where he got them, what the box marking was, etc. The first three were shot out of his G26, two of which didn't expand at all. The second three were shot out of his G17; all three of these expanded somewhat but not impressively. They did, however, make it about a foot farther, penetration-wise.

All in all, rather unimpressive (to me). That said, I am certain that the feebs have exhaustively tested this stuff before choosing it. If I was still working (and carrying a 9mm), I might give it a shot for the improved penetration. However, anything I might be unfortunate enough to have to shoot will likely be unprotected meat; so I'll stay with HST, thank you.

I am kind of surprised to hear this. Anything that won't expand in water is unlikely to do well in ordnance gel.

For Symmetry:

From my plain-Jane stock Glock 17, the 54226 gave me the following chronograph data...

Hi- 1002
    Lo- 973
    Avg- 992.2
    ExtSpr- 29
    SD- 8.02

Elev- 635 ft ASL, Temp 51F

What is the current status of the Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain 9mm, has it been recalled? I have 10 boxes of the stuff not sure what to do with the stuff since it does not expand reliably.

I have switched to Federal HST's 147 grain +P 9mm for now.

Thank you.

User Tag List