Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

LSP972, would love some images of the partially expanded test samples if you can manage this. I am very curious about test results for this ammunition.

Do you have any evidence to indicate that water testing (vice gel) for expansion would produce different results for this round than any other designs? Have you seen any differences with EFMJ or with Critical Duty / Critical Defense testing?

Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post
    LSP972, would love some images of the partially expanded test samples if you can manage this. I am very curious about test results for this ammunition.

Do you have any evidence to indicate that water testing (vice gel) for expansion would produce different results for this round than any other designs? Have you seen any differences with EFMJ or with Critical Duty / Critical Defense testing?
    The only EFMJ "experience" I have is with two examples of 9mm Federal Guard Dog that came out of deceased miscreants. In both cases, they expanded as advertised and both individuals were DRT, according to the reports. That is some interesting ammunition, and one of the low-priority projects we have here is to examine the concept further, for our own edification. If the locals will stop shooting each other... and at the po-lice... long enough to give us a breather, we might actually get around to it.

In regards to the other request, check your PM.

I have some 124gr +P EFMJ I can send you if you'd like. Left over from my trip to NJ a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have some 124gr +P EFMJ I can send you if you'd like. Left over from my trip to NJ a few years ago.
    I accept.

You make it back from the hinterlands okay?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I accept.

You make it back from the hinterlands okay?

Yes, sort of. My ebola flared back up. Was kind of a miserable trip.

Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post
    Have you seen any differences with Critical Duty / Critical Defense testing?
    I just realized I forgot to answer this part of your question. What made me realize it was the several little red plastic pellets floating around in our test tank. This is the cheif thing I've noticed about Critical Duty/Critical Defense (whichever one features that). It is a big-time PITA for us, as those little buggers must all be retrieved before draining the tank (which we do bi-monthly) or they will totally FUBAR the filtration system.

IOW, we've shot some of them, as reference matches in a few cases (and obviously recently), but with the existence and relatively easy obtainability of HST and Ranger T, I personally have simply had no interest in them, and noting of note (good or bad, excepting those triple-damned little pellets) that I know of has come up about them. Now that I think about it, I've yet to see a "meat bullet" example of them come through here.

Sorry I don't have anything positive to tell you.

A friend in Gary was seeing the Defense ammo regularly in local murders during the great ammo drought. His theory was that the bangers couldn't find their normal ball ammo and had to spring for the more expensive ammo. He noted that the cases involving .38s, 9mms and .40s we saw showed that the rounds worked as intended, although one of the incidents with a .40 involved shed jackets in the victim.

Interesting article.

http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...-at-SHOT-Show/

"The G2 bullet starts life the same way as the traditional Gold Dot bullet, as a lead core with an electrochemically-bonded copper jacket. A star-shaped punch is used to stab the bullet's nose and cut all the way through the jacket, forming stress risers. At the base of these cuts is a circular ring around the outside of the jacket that Speer engineers call the "hinge," whose purpose is to limit the amount of expansion as the petals of the bullet open up.

Interestingly, when the bullet is run through the final shaping dies, there is only a shallow dish of a cavity left in the nose. This dish is filled with liquid elastomer, which hardens as it cures. Upon bullet impact, this plug forces the bullet to open up along its star-shaped fissures and initiate the expansion that is limited by the hinge.

Since expansion is mechanically driven, and not hydrostatically driven (as it is on the standard Gold Dot), the G2 bullet performs more consistently after penetrating barriers, which can plug or deform open cavity designs and alter penetration depth.

In fact, Speer engineers tell me that penetration consistently reaches the 14 to 16 inch optimum range of the new FBI standards. This exceeds the typical 12 to 14 inch penetration achieved by the older Gold Dot, which was engineered to meet an earlier specification that could sometimes encourage shallower penetration.

The new G2 bullet will be loaded into nickel cases using low flash powders, and will initially be offered as a 147 grain 9mm, a 180 grain .40 S&W, and a 230 grain .45 ACP +P."

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    The new G2 bullet will be loaded into nickel cases using low flash powders, and will initially be offered as a 147 grain 9mm, a 180 grain .40 S&W, and a 230 grain .45 ACP +P."
    That .45 +P is interesting. I wonder if that implies that they couldn't get the bullet to work correctly at normal .45 velocities, and thus wanted to get it into the same velocity window as the 148 and 180 grain rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    That .45 +P is interesting. I wonder if that implies that they couldn't get the bullet to work correctly at normal .45 velocities, and thus wanted to get it into the same velocity window as the 148 and 180 grain rounds?
    Guessing somebody with enough purchasing power wanted a +p version, so initial efforts were focused on it.

User Tag List