Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Is there a film across the hollowpoint?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Looks to be a clear polymer insert from here, which jives with DocGKR's statements.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Not a film, but the cavity (which is shallower than the original Gold Dot) is filled with elastomer.

That would make it a PT (polymer tip), like a Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense instead of a JHP...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    That would make it a PT (polymer tip), like a Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense instead of a JHP...
    Not sure I'm following you on this...which are you saying it is? PT, correct? (Just assuming based on its title here)
    Last edited by Handgun Planet; 10-20-2014 at 09:20 PM.

So where do we buy this at ??..

The G2 has a solid polymer tip with no exposed hollow point, so it is a PT, not a JHP.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    Looks to be a clear polymer insert from here, which jives with DocGKR's statements.
    Must really be something to that design approach. Caleb's blog has an article about a deep penetrating 125 gr .357 load from Hornady. Not sure I've seen a relatively light .357 go that deep in a review before.

This G2 sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if it's destined to be the new FBI load.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The G2 has a solid polymer tip with no exposed hollow point, so it is a PT, not a JHP.
    Ok, gotcha. Just making sure I wasn't off base with my thread title. I only had the box to go by so I tried to stick to that language for the most part.

It makes me sad that I invented this sort of filled JHP ammo back in like 1978 and never wrote that idea down anywhere.

I'd be really interested in seeing some of the G2 in person. Sources tell me it tests REALLY well on the FBI test battery.

User Tag List