Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    And I think most of us would agree a brown bear skull would be a bit of a hard barrier! Ball ammo can get really erratic on hard surfaces, especially when it impacts at angles less then perpendicular. It glances off skulls of all types and windshields are another big issue for it too.

Do any of the penetration tests use curved surfaces? (ie simulate a skull) I know that there are some which use oblique angles but I believe the surface is flat. I was just thinking of all the anecdotal stories about bullets bouncing off or tracing around a skull.

One of the reasons I think the 9mm Ranger-T line is so effective is the sharp leading edge that is rather wadcutter-ish. I have seen these bullets dig in on shots to sheet metal that cause other bullets to ricochet off.

Meplat and ogive make a big difference in what happens in such angle shots on hard surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Meplat and ogive make a big difference in what happens in such angle shots on hard surfaces.
    Velocity matters also. The faster the round the more likely it will be to penetrate a hard surface, although given the relatively low velocity of most pistol bullets, meplat and ogive might well matter more.

I finally got a chance to hit the range with these. I had yet to see a picture of an expanded G2 anywhere on the interwebs, so I did a completely non scientific and probably wildly inaccurate water jug test, just to see what the expansion profile looked like. As many suspected, the end results looked a lot like a gold dot and an hst had an illegitimate love child. I only did one shot as I only had 5 jugs so take any "results" with a grain of salt, again, not a scientific test whatsoever. Expansion was pretty awesome, averaging somewhere in the .67-.73 range, but uneven as you can see in the picture. There were definitely some surprises in the results. Two of the most expanded petals almost broke off. There was a definite "tear" at the seam, but it held together. Penetration, from what I can tell from a jug test, was very good with it going through 3 jugs, poking a hole in the 4th, but settling in the bottom of the third. Overall, from this very limited "testing", I am impressed with this round. I'll be carrying it from now on. These were the 54226's.

Cool pictures! Thanks!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Interesting. I'm kind of surprised by the lack of uniformity of the expansion here. Water jugs usually give "picture perfect" expansion in my experience.

That was sort of my thoughts as well. The two big petals had started to separate and had torn about halfway through the jacket. I tried to do a 147 HST for comparison, but I only had 2 jugs and another partially full one and it went through them.

My suspicion is that it was designed to do so well through barriers/heavy clothing that perhaps just jugs almost caused it to over perform. It almost reminds me of the underwood 147 gold dots where the expansion is huge, but the velocity is stretched to the point that the bullet is starting to come apart.

Very interesting thread.

I hope this G2 ammo takes off in sales; maybe I'll finally be able to find some regular GD 124+p in stock at sgammo.com now.

My Gold Dot 124+P penetrated three water jugs breaking the plastic on the fourth jug and fell inside the third jug with expansion like I have never seen on a 9mm round.
    My HST 147+P penetrated the fourth jug and fell between the third and fourth jug and had normal expansion with all the petals pressed against the base of the bullet.
    HST 147+P average expansion .699"
    Gold Dot 124+P average expansion .936"
    No petal breakage on either.

On another note all three 124gr. NATO rounds exited the side of the seventh jug near the rear not striking the #8 jug and were never found.
    Was this side exit due to loss of velocity causing the round to go left or right?
    Last edited by JBP55; 11-09-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Forgive my ignorance of ballistics, but how does this round outperform the 147gr HST?

User Tag List