Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    It now being the middle of 2023, how is modern-production Gold Dot G2 147gr 9mm performing? Are the issues with performance seen early on still a thing, or is it one of the best duty/defense 9mm loadings out there?

Is anyone familiar with any recent valid testing and/or OIS results showing how it is performing in the present day? I figured it'd be more proper to ask in an old thread rather than make a new one.
    It’s been a few years (2018), but a police department in my state had a SWAT OIS and turned a guy into Swiss cheese with 147gr G2. 80% of the rounds that struck the suspect failed to expand. My agency dropped G2 after that and switched to HST.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    It now being the middle of 2023, how is modern-production Gold Dot G2 147gr 9mm performing? Are the issues with performance seen early on still a thing, or is it one of the best duty/defense 9mm loadings out there?

Is anyone familiar with any recent valid testing and/or OIS results showing how it is performing in the present day? I figured it'd be more proper to ask in an old thread rather than make a new one.
    IIRC the first batch that came out in 2018 had issues. There is a thread around here about it.

More recent tests that I have seen show it to perform very well, even in the G26.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I know that the FBI prohibits the use of the G2 ammunition in G43s and G43Xs due to performance issues out of the short barrels. Those guns have to be loaded with 135gr +P Critical Duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My understanding is the FBI restriction on G2 in the 43/43X is primarily related to reliability concerns in the mini Glocks rather than terminal ballistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    IIRC the first batch that came out in 2018 had issues. There is a thread around here about it.

More recent tests that I have seen show it to perform very well, even in the G26.

The FBI restriction on G2 seems to be specific to the Glock 43...at least, I've never heard it mentioned for the Glock 26. If the G2 was an inconsistent performer in the G43's short barrel, it'd also be an inconsistent performer in the Glock 26 since they're the same length.

Yet, that doesn't seem to be the case, which gives me confusion over why someone at BRF would've given TC215 that info.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The G2 seems like it'd be an excellent round but I haven't seen much saying it's been fixed in recent years. Has @DocGKR seen any recent testing/OiS data on the current production G2?
    Or is it better to stick with the original 147gr GDHP or 124 +P GDHP?

I also remember the Critical Duty 135 +P producing what DocGKR observed as undesirable performance (in regards to expansion iirc), but in the years since it seems like Critical Duty 135gr +P has a pretty good reputation.

Vending Machine Operator
    I picked up a few boxes of the 180-grain .40 S&W G2 a few months ago for my .40s because I got a great price. I have been able to find next to no data on it. It's just a backup supply for my 180-grain Gold Dots and my .40s don't get carried often these days, but I still find myself curious.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I picked up a few boxes of the 180-grain .40 S&W G2 a few months ago for my .40s because I got a great price. I have been able to find next to no data on it. It's just a backup supply for my 180-grain Gold Dots and my .40s don't get carried often these days, but I still find myself curious.
    14.50" penetration after auto glass and 0.53" expansion

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/download...ter_insert.pdf

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ba...omparison.aspx

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Thank you Velo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List