Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Smile Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

To start off, I'm a noob here (literally registered today), but I searched for references to this round and only saw the carry ammo thread and the new 9mm testing thread. If I missed an older thread specifically devoted to this round, I apologize.

I got some of the new Speer Gold Dot G2 9mm recently, and although I haven't made it to the chrono or the range to to any gel testing yet, I wanted to post pics and first impressions for those of you who might be interested in this ammo. I'll also be happy to update the thread with any gel testing or chrono results I obtain in the next few weeks (hopefully no longer than that, but it might be).

http://handgunplanet.com/news/first-...d-dot-g2-ammo/

I won't be too much help on questions just yet, but if there's something you want to know that isn't covered in the article, I'll either tell you or do my best to figure it out when I make it to the range. I know a lot of the people on here are very knowledgeable, so I'm not sure how much I can contribute, but I'll look forward to seeing you guys on the forums and I'll try to add what I can.

Where is the G2 ammunition available and what does it cost?

Welcome and thanks for posting!

Very much interested in calibrated bare gel/4LD (laminated auto glass would be nice but know that might be impractical) testing out of service size (G17/G19 etc.) and compact (G26/Shield) pistols.

I would love to get my hands on some just to see if I could PM Doc to get permission to send it to him for testing. I love the 147gr load Speer produces now and can't wait to see what advantages the new offerings deliver. Inquiring minds certainly want to know where can I get my grubby hands on some?

Thank you, but we have had this ammo for a while. Unfortunately we were asked not to discuss the results. If possible, we'll try and put up some information in the near future. The Speer 9 mm 147 gr G2 is very good performing barrier blind ammunition! In fact modern 9 mm ammo like the G2 performs so well, that many large LE agencies are having no issues giving up larger caliber handguns in favor of easier shooting, more durable, higher capacity 9 mm handguns that offer terminal performance that only a few years ago was only possible with larger calibers like .40 S&W and .45 Auto.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 10-19-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Thank you, but we have had this ammo for a while. Unfortunately we were asked not to discuss the results. If possible, we'll try and put up some information in the near future. The Speer 9 mm 147 gr G2 is very good performing barrier blind ammunition! In fact modern 9 mm ammo like the G2 performs so well, that many large LE agencies are having no issues giving up larger caliber handguns in favor of easier shooting, more durable, higher capacity 9 mm handguns that offer terminal performance that only a few years ago was only possible with larger calibers like .40 S&W and .45 Auto.
    Hey Doc. I figured you had it a while back when it appeared on "the list"

And I'm sure that Speer will add it to their website soon considering that they've supposedly been demoing it around the country for a little while. I do want to clarify, though: are you asking others not to discuss the results we get? They certainly aren't going to be as comprehensive as yours, but in fairness no one asked us not to discuss this round. I just want to make sure I understand you because I'm new here and I don't want to step on any toes, especially yours.

Thanks! (Edit: Also, lest something get lost in translation, none of this is sarcasm. I really did just want to clarify with you.)
    Last edited by Handgun Planet; 10-19-2014 at 10:49 PM.

What you do that is not covered by an NDA is up to you....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipulusArmorum View Post
    Welcome and thanks for posting!

Very much interested in calibrated bare gel/4LD (laminated auto glass would be nice but know that might be impractical) testing out of service size (G17/G19 etc.) and compact (G26/Shield) pistols.
    Thanks! It'll probably just be bare gel or 4LD first, and likely out of a G17 and a 26. But I will see what I can do on some other barriers. For those who asked where to get it, that's the one thing that I can't say, but I will update and post the first public source for it that I find

What you do that is not covered by an NDA is up to you....
    Thank you for the clarification. No NDA here; wouldn't make much sense for a member of the media to sign one. Until I have time to get to the range, though, I'm happy to hear that your results were so promising (and I'll certainly be on the lookout for them)! Take care-
    Last edited by Handgun Planet; 10-20-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Missed another reply

But where can we get it???

Oh sorry just saw that you can't tell us. Dammit...

Thank you DocGKR for sharing what you could. It will be very interesting when you are able to post the results. Is there a chance that you can tell us what time frame the results might be shared with us? Thank you in advance.

User Tag List