Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Digital" Man test, assigning a wound value to every square inch

"Digital" Man test, assigning a wound value to every square inch

I don't know how to explain this test... so here I go..

I remember reading about a "USGI" test, from the '70s ( ? ) that assigned a wound value to every square inch on a man sized body.

Something like the square inch of fleshy part of a calf would have a value of 1, the heart square inch would have a value of 8.

The point was to try and predict what a bullets wounding capability was, based on the square inches involved with the bullets impact.
    And then the assigned square inch wound values were totaled up

The test, if I remember correctly, was basically a failure. ( Since I never still read about it, I will assume I am correct )

I cannot remember what the specific name was of the test.

Or does anyone have a link to the tests ?

I remember the tests although I don't know where to www it.
    I think the figure was just a torso, no limbs to program for.
    It gave some rankings against conventional wisdom and did not last.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Of course it failed, that sounds one step above a bag of chicken bones.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I'll find the citation on DTIC.mil once I get to my desktop. Part of the problem was that they were including the Temporary Stretch Cavity. They also used 20% ballistics gelatin, not the current 10%.

I remember reading about "Computerman" and such in the gun rags back in the late 80's/ early 90's.

"Caliber Wars", Thompson-LaGarde, Momentum vs Velocity, Marshall/Sanow and such.

I thought DocGKR had posted related to these things over the years.

I read some of the archival pdf's too. Interesting from a historical perspective. I guess we didn't know what we didn't know. We've come a long ways, on many levels.

The NIJ/LEAA "computer man" is discussed in chapter 4 of Handgun Stopping Power by Marshall/Sanow.

This 3-D model is explained along with the Relative Incapacitation Index (RII) and a Vulnerability Index (VI)

"The Vulnerability Index is a set of numbers that represents the relative vulnerability of the human body at each depth of penetration from the front. The VI takes into account the detailed construction of the body and the hit probability of trained shooters under stress using weapons of moderate to heavy recoil."

Name:  20230618_135228.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  20230618_135243.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  76.4 KB

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/Digiti...87004NCJRS.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Watters View Post
    Part of the problem was that they were including the Temporary Stretch Cavity. They also used 20% ballistics gelatin, not the current 10%.
    Perhaps a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

An updated Vulnerability Index focused on the permanent wound cavity and including non-frontal shots or intervening hands/arms might have more relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Perhaps a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

An updated Vulnerability Index focused on the permanent wound cavity and including non-frontal shots or intervening hands/arms might have more relevance.
    I should have wrote Relative Incapacitation Index instead of Vulnerability Index.

It really doesn't matter since too many variables would be introduced for it to be worth the effort, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Watters View Post
    This is a link to the Army's report:
    https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA078233.pdf
    That is exactly the report I was looking for, Thank You

User Tag List