Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WML's- Let's Discuss some options.......

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Most folks I know who have tried the Glock lights have moved on to other offerings...

Ok Docs thanks, what I wanted to know.
    Energy goes where attention flows.

I have an APL for my pistol mounted light on a G19, specifically for reduced bulk. It's the only light of appreciable brightness that is slender and light enough to not become a major PITA to conceal mounted to the pistol.

I have Surefires - a Fury dual output handheld for searching and daily use, and a Fury fixed 500 luminen output mounted on my carbine, and the X300U is an AWESOME light, but just too big for my carry applications. If it was ONLY going on a pistol for nightstand use, I'd probably go that route, but if daily carry is the plan, I prefer the APL.

YMMV, of course, and, usually when Doc talks about stuff, I just STFU, listen, and take copious notes.

Regards,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I have an APL for my pistol mounted light on a G19, specifically for reduced bulk. It's the only light of appreciable brightness that is slender and light enough to not become a major PITA to conceal mounted to the pistol.

I have Surefires - a Fury dual output handheld for searching and daily use, and a Fury fixed 500 luminen output mounted on my carbine, and the X300U is an AWESOME light, but just too big for my carry applications. If it was ONLY going on a pistol for nightstand use, I'd probably go that route, but if daily carry is the plan, I prefer the APL.

YMMV, of course, and, usually when Doc talks about stuff, I just STFU, listen, and take copious notes.

Regards,

Kevin
    Thanks Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Most folks I know who have tried the Glock lights have moved on to other offerings...
    I'll come right out and say that the Glock light is a POS. Poorly made, break easily, lights crap out with any appreciable live-fire, etc. They are airsoft quality gear at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Medic View Post
    I'm not trying to re-hash an ongoing argument but have been considering EDC with a wml attached and I will soon (soon as I can get a JM AIWB holster) be giving AIWB a try, of course for some time not "live", and I was thinking the apl has a smaller footprint and that might make a big difference with this mode of EDC.......
    I use to think adding a light would add a lot of un wanted bulk and weight. Until I tried It.

My Gen 1 APL is at Emissive Energy waiting to be exchanged for the GEN 2 APL

For now / Since Jan. Ive been packing a P30S/TLR-1 . JM/ Tony made me a IWB-L based off his V3. Makes for comfortable carry.

Also order another holster for the APL GEN 2 /P30S.

I do like how the APL LED head is built compared to TLR-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I use to think adding a light would add a lot of un wanted bulk and weight. Until I tried It.

My Gen 1 APL is at Emissive Energy waiting to be exchanged for the GEN 2 APL

For now / Since Jan. Ive been packing a P30S/TLR-1 . JM/ Tony made me a IWB-L based off his V3. Makes for comfortable carry.

Also order another holster for the APL GEN 2 /P30S.

I do like how the APL LED head is built compared to TLR-1.
    Thanks Rich I was reading your threads beforehand it's great that CS is replacing that unit for you. I will see when I can get my hands on an APL.

My biggest issue with things right now is this:

- There is much discussion on repetitions on here, how many, how long, etc when doing things. Now please understand my reality as a "regular" joe just starting to get his feet wet with competition shooting on a "local" basis and a law abiding CCW guy. If I'm doing what I can with my available resources to get in solid training and reps, then is it a detriment to CCW with a light?

I would off the bat need two different holsters because I can't shoot IDPA/USPSA with a light on my gun, and I'm pretty sure IDPA is a no go with AIWB carry which is what I will be attempting next. (Of course the proper time and care will be taken to get training in with an empty gun). I can also just see the faces of some of the R/O's at the local training nights and classes I have available in state if I show up with AIWB rig (especially) if I'm a new student to them and they have no clue how safe I am or am not with a firearm.

It's easy for Todd or some of you other guys to not have to deal with this because you use a gun to make a living in one way or another, or from my reading many of you are the instructors in a lot of your shooting environments.

So where does this all leave the "regular" guy......

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Medic View Post
    I would off the bat need two different holsters because I can't shoot IDPA/USPSA with a light on my gun, and I'm pretty sure IDPA is a no go with AIWB carry which is what I will be attempting next. (Of course the proper time and care will be taken to get training in with an empty gun). I can also just see the faces of some of the R/O's at the local training nights and classes I have available in state if I show up with AIWB rig (especially) if I'm a new student to them and they have no clue how safe I am or am not with a firearm.
    What about USPSA? OrigamiAK competes with AIWB in Limited. I'm not 100% on this, but I think that you can use a WML without a battery in Limited as well, if you wanted to use your exact carry gear.
    Sheep Have Wool

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    What about USPSA? OrigamiAK competes with AIWB in Limited. I'm not 100% on this, but I think that you can use a WML without a battery in Limited as well, if you wanted to use your exact carry gear.
    USPSA is new to me and I have not been out yet, part of the reason why I am asking about this here. I saw his video but wonder more if it's that his local club allows him to do as he pleases because he's an instructor and his shooting capabilities........?

Site Supporter
    I have had great luck with both Surefire and Streamlight flashlights. The Streamlight TLR-1 that is mounted to my P30 is about 7-8 years old and still running like a champ. My 3 Surefire handhelds have had the crap beat out of them with no issues at all. My oldest Surefire is 7-8 years old with no issues. My Surefire X300 is my favorite light, but at nearly double the cost of a TLR-1, I still feel the TLR-1 is the best bang for the buck.

If you are hunting for a X300, Amazon had a sweetheart of a deal last Christmas. I think my X300 was around $150 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    I have had great luck with both Surefire and Streamlight flashlights. The Streamlight TLR-1 that is mounted to my P30 is about 7-8 years old and still running like a champ. My 3 Surefire handhelds have had the crap beat out of them with no issues at all. My oldest Surefire is 7-8 years old with no issues. My Surefire X300 is my favorite light, but at nearly double the cost of a TLR-1, I still feel the TLR-1 is the best bang for the buck.

If you are hunting for a X300, Amazon had a sweetheart of a deal last Christmas. I think my X300 was around $150 or so.
    Thanks that's what I paid for my standard X300 back in 2010 or so on one of the forum EE's. And I agree on your points of the TLR-1. I have to admit though I haven't looked seriously at one in some time as I have seen many downrange when I worked at a shop/range because the screws backed out and flashlight came loose, but those instances could have very well been the fault of the nut behind the gun as well.

User Tag List