Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Carry" vs. "Combat" Handguns

"Carry" vs. "Combat" Handguns

Note to mods: not sure if this is the most suitable forum for this topic so please move if needed.

As a civilian I (wrongly or rightly) make a distinction between a handgun intended for comfortable, easily-concealable everyday carry (in my case, a 9mm PPS in a Comp-Tac IWB holster) and a “more capable” handgun I would prefer to be wearing if the S truly HTF and a long gun was not available. A G17C with an APL and Heine night sights in a JM Custom OWB holster constitutes what I would consider a “combat handgun” (along with a double mag carrier on the weak side) that at least on a square range, substantially extends the distance of fast, accurate fire over the Walther but at the obvious expense of weight, comfort and ease-of-concealment.

Tinfoil hats and doomsday scenarios aside, if I suspected I had a greater-than-normal chance of running into serious chaos outside the home (and for the purpose of this discussion, ignoring common sense that it would be better to stay home under such circumstances) and overtly carrying a long gun was not an option, the higher capacity, faster-shooting Glock is what I would want to be packing.

So, the intended topic for discussion: do you have one rig that you wear all the time that is optimized to strike a balance between comfortable/concealable carry and maximum effectiveness/capability, OR do you carry a smaller, more comfortable/concealable (but still reasonably capable) gun regularly but have a larger/higher capacity/more-capable handgun set up to CC for certain situations? Is such a distinction even relevant to civilian CC?

TIA for sharing your thoughts.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 10-20-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: fixing quotation marks in title

I believe the Glock 19 is considered the ideal mix of capability and ease of carrying. A couple of G17 mags for reloads and you are quite well armed.

I carry my issued G22 for CCW. For my circumstances, there is never a reason to go smaller than a G19. Obviously, personal circumstances vary greatly.

If you want a display of shooting prowess with the G19, check out some video of USPSA GM Mike Hughes training and competing with his.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Since 2000, I've carried a 5" 1911, a full size M&P, or a G19/17 for CCW--all of which were easy to carry in a variety of situations and clothing styles, yet offered an effective, reliable, and easy to shoot handgun in case things went sideways.

"I believe the Glock 19 is considered the ideal mix of capability and ease of carrying. A couple of G17 mags for reloads and you are quite well armed."
    The above is likely one of the best available compromises and one that I currently use.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Note to mods: not sure if this is the most suitable forum for this topic so please move if needed.

As a civilian I (wrongly or rightly) make a distinction between a handgun intended for comfortable, easily-concealable everyday carry (in my case, a 9mm PPS in a Comp-Tac IWB holster) and a “more capable” handgun I would prefer to be wearing if the S truly HTF and a long gun was not available. A G17C with an APL and Heine night sights in a JM Custom OWB holster constitutes what I would consider a “combat handgun” (along with a double mag carrier on the weak side) that at least on a square range, substantially extends the distance of fast, accurate fire over the Walther but at the obvious expense of weight, comfort and ease-of-concealment.

Tinfoil hats and doomsday scenarios aside, if I suspected I had a greater-than-normal chance of running into serious chaos outside the home (and for the purpose of this discussion, ignoring common sense that it would be better to stay home under such circumstances) and overtly carrying a long gun was not an option, the higher capacity, faster-shooting Glock is what I would want to be packing.

So, the intended topic for discussion: do you have one rig that you wear all the time that is optimized to strike a balance between comfortable/concealable carry and maximum effectiveness/capability, OR do you carry a smaller, more comfortable/concealable (but still reasonably capable) gun regularly but have a larger/higher capacity/more-capable handgun set up to CC for certain situations? Is such a distinction even relevant to civilian CC?

There is no standard answer to this question, because there is no standard body type. Im built skinny enough to pull off hiding a full size Beretta without printing, and that is a pistol most people cnsider decided un-concealable. Yet, I knew a chick who couldnt hide a P22 without it printing badly.

As to the 'SHTF' scenario,it depends on your circumstances. If youre defending your business and/or residence from looters, put down the pistol and get a long gun. If the problem involves a Katrina style natural disaster, listen to the authorities and evacuate.If the natural disaster is unforseen, concealing the weapon becomes even more important-not less. Few relief or evacuation vehicles will permit an openly armed man to board, and the thugs will have guns too-except theyll have strengh in numbers.Ive yet to see the youtube tactical video explaining how someone with a pistol can escape four hoods with long guns.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I use different handguns for different circumstances/environments/dress. As much as possible, I keep operating systems the same. I'm generally carrying a G17 in a Comp-Tac CTAC or a Glock 19. In truth, I find for most forms of dress, I can hide the 17/CTAC combo under the same conditions I can hide the 19. I really like the CTAC because it allows you to adjust the height and cant for the individual. Occasionally, I carry a G26 when traveling to places that limit magazine capacity.

I keep a G34 with WML on the nightstand, but don't carry it. I no longer have the need to carry a pistol with WML.

I also use J-frames for pockets and ankles when I need to. The new G42 is on the verge of filling most of my J-frame roles, except for outside jacket pocket carry.

Realistic threat assessment should be part of everything you do. What's in my short's pocket on my back patio while smoking a cigar and drinking whisky is different than what I carry walking around New Orleans.

I'd think what you're describing, is for most people, a carry gun and a 'nightstand' gun. Not so much combat.

I personally find width of grip is the issue with concealment, so Glocks (other than the 42) are out for me, regardless of size. Width of frame/slide means a lot too. You're on the right track, but I think people generally plan around home defense more than going to war.

So, the intended topic for discussion: do you have one rig that you wear all the time that is optimized to strike a balance between comfortable/concealable carry and maximum effectiveness/capability
    That's how I prefer to do it. It's far from the only reasonable choice, but that's my preference for myself.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    I'd think what you're describing, is for most people, a carry gun and a 'nightstand' gun.
    Yes, nightstand duty/HD is actually the primary role of my G17/APL. My goal is to see how practical it might be for CC.

With the recent purchase of the JM Custom holster, I have worn it a few times on short excursions and with a sweatshirt or light jacket it conceals just fine. I certainly feel better equipped vs. the PPS, if not quite as comfortable sitting in the driver's seat or doing cartwheels in the CVS parking lot.

One could make the argument that the whole point of a handgun, regardless of size, is to strike a balance between concealment and effectiveness.

I prefer the full-size gun, but for NPE or when I have to get dressed up, I carry a sub-compact. That's all I own and all that goes into my EDC decision.

I'm sure a female or someone who prefers a more fitted look would require a more complex system. That's not my reality. Personally, I take advantage of the fact that ill fitting clothes are the norm these days anyway and dress to fit in.

I give this about as much thought as JollyGreen.

I've always carried FS handguns (SB K frame, M&P, G17) except when dressing up as they tend to print when wearing a sport coat. This year I let go of the G17 in favor of a P-07 (same size as a G19).

Besides the fact that it takes far less effort for me to be good with a CZ than with a Glock, the shift to slightly smaller pistol makes the need for a J frame even smaller. The P-07 (and others of its size) offer about 95% of the capability of their full size counterparts while being much easier to conceal under dressier clothes and being much more comfortable when seated in a car for long drives.

As for the difference between carry and nightstand guns, I don't follow. Whatever I happen to be carrying that day goes into the nightstand when I go to sleep. That could be a J frame, a P-07, a 75, or a 357 Magnum K frame. Not something I spend too much time debating or contemplating.

User Tag List