Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Behind the hip and car seats?

I'm 5'10", 205lb, and have daily driven a Honda S2000 since 2004. I've found that IWB holster with a single loop allow for a bit more movement, allowing the pistol to find a neutral spot against the body. I use a Government Model 1911 99% of the time

No issues with full-size guns and sport seats. Part of it may be managing expectations. It'll never completely disappear, you'll likely feel a subtle or not-so-subtle bump, but you will become acclimated to its presence and 8+ hour drives will be possible.

This represents about 3 years of carrying a Glock 19 at 3:30. When the leather finally separates, I'll probably have it reupholstered with an extra layer there. Regular treatment with Lexoil has slowed the cracking some.

Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post

This represents about 3 years of carrying a Glock 19 at 3:30. When the leather finally separates, I'll probably have it reupholstered with an extra layer there. Regular treatment with Lexoil has slowed the cracking some.
    You can have that repaired and recolored before it tears. Hit up your local dealership used car dept and ask the Mgr who the use to recondition/interior touch up for their stock units. I have had 2 seats repaired on my vehicles, it's a common issue in Texas heat. Most repairs will be under $150.00 for a fill and redye/paint of the leather.

I do work at a dealer so I have experience with this issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I realize that this is a Carry 101 question, but how do folks who carry behind the hip deal with sitting in a car? I've been experimenting with a J-frame in a variety of positions aft of 3 o'clock, and have yet to find one that's comfortable when seated. I can imagine it might work with a soft bench seat, but a bucket with bolsters seems problematic.

I'm not comfortable with AIWB at this point.

Thanks!
    I carry at 3:00 IWB or OWB. Main reason so I can draw my handgun in about any position. sitting - standing- back - prone.

I love to belly carry snub nosed 357magnum revolvers M686 or GP100 . They are my 2 favorite Belly Guns. Pistol not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    This is such an individual question that there is no good answer other than "spend $1,000 on different holsters and guns until you find one that works".

For me, switching to an M&P9c from a FS made all the difference in the world vis a vis car carry comfort - that little bit off the grip was a big plus for comfort.
    The height of the pistol is what is hard for me to hide especially at 3:00

I had a S&W M5906 and switch to the M6906 a 12 shot 9mm. The M6906 grip was easy to hide same with my 12rd P229.

The M&P C would be sweet to carry

Peterb,I carry a 1911 at 330 and I have a s&w 442 on my left ankle because it is easier to get to seated in the car......cya retro
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

User Tag List