Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Reliable new guns for those on a limited budget".

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I ya'll have actual experience with a particular gun then please expand on what that might be.
    Sure

1) S&W M&P9 and 9c: reliable, crappy trigger, weird grip that I could never grab consistently out of the holster in a hurry, mediocre accuracy. Sent on down the river.

2) Glock 17: crappy trigger and very small trigger guard gave me no way to cleanly manipulate the trigger without destroying accuracy. Same issues would be present with any Glock. Sent on down the river.

3) SIG P226: too long a reach to trigger in DA, slide release lever in the wrong place (my SH thumb kept riding it) and I am not about to develop one grip for one pistol and another grip for all others. Barrel felt like it was about a foot above my hand. Sent on down the river.

4) S&W 915: probably the worst designed grip geometry of any handgun I have ever held. Truly cannot find a way to naturally grip that pistol (or any other S&W 3rd gen). On the plus side the DA trigger is pretty good and the SA trigger has the shortest reset that I have ever experienced. Safety/decocker lever sucks (just like Beretta). I never carry it with the safety on, always decocked and off safe. Very accurate. Still have it because it was a gift from someone close to me.

5) CZ P-07: Very accurate. Controls are very well thought out. Decocker works like a decocker should. Slide release a little stiff. DA/SA trigger is very good from the factory, very easy to upgrade with bolt on parts. Grip geometry is excellent, but grip could be slightly thicker across. CZ should just have copied the 75's grip in polymer. This is my EDC pistol.

6) CZ 75BD: insanely accurate, controls are exactly where I want them to be. Same comments re trigger as the P-07, including how easy it is to improve it without gunsmithing. The grip is perfection, once I installed thinner grip panels (VZ G10). Pistol is extremely easy to shoot accurately and fast. My go to pistol for USPSA production and IDPA SSP.

7) S&W fixed sight K frame revolvers: the wheelgun equivalent to the CZ 75
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 10-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    On a regular basis, I can find "used" Glock 17s or 19s for $400 cash in the Atlanta area - in many cases, they are almost unfired. However - I am really impressed by the S&W SD9VE as recently reported in another thread - my LGS regularly has the SD9VE for $275 on sale and is currently selling it for $290 - that is a lot of gun for that price with two mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I ya'll have actual experience with a particular gun then please expand on what that might be.

Not asking for a copy of the S&W SD9 test thread, but some background more than "xxx 9mm is a nice gun" would be nice.
    I've owned two different SIG SP2022's, and still have the one. Never had a bobble of any kind while using several different kinds of practice ammo. I can't say that I did a full on 2000 round challenge with either one, but I've got enough practice ammo through mine that if I ran about 300 rounds of a good SD ammo through it without a stoppage, I'd fully trust it. My only real gripe with the SP2022 is I have a tendency to ride the slide stop and prevent it from locking back when empty. I personally don't count that as a stoppage or failure.

I second a used or trade in g19 or g17. Buy a spring kit and you have a solid gun. I have found some police trade ins that were is great condition.

Also I have seen new m&p 9 for under 450.

"Reliable new guns for those on a limited budget".

My first handgun was an s&w 5906 police trade. I wouldn't recommend it as a first handgun due to the lack of availability of holsters and armorers courses. I traded it in for a Glock 17. If I could do it over I would have started out with an M&P 9mm, which can be had new for under $400. The M&P is a little more complex than the Glock, but not much. Plus, holsters and other accessories are plentiful.

One other thing to note for new shooters, make sure you check the prices at your local gun stores and gun shows. Online prices at auction sites and retailers sometimes don't compare favorably to the local market. The used counter can be your friend if you know what you are looking at (much like used cars). Just .02 from a budget minded shooter.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

I have no rounds through a Walther PPX, but I know a couple of people who own one and are satisfied.

I have put about about 250 rounds though a Sig 2022 and through a S&W SD9VE. While neither one would be my first choice, either one would work if it was my only option.

I wish S&W made a version of the M&P with the dimensions of the SD9VE.

If we are talking used guns, then it depends on the buyers knowledge of the gun to be able to determine the condition of the gun being sold. Many on this site have that ability. But when approached by someone with limited experience who asks you for recommendations for a new pistol and on a strict budget, I think the options are limited. But at the same time, I am surprised what is out there for around/under $300.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
    My first handgun was an s&w 5906 police trade. I wouldn't recommend it as a first handgun due to the lack of availability of holsters and armorers courses.
    This is a disservice to new shooters.

First of all, how many new shooters do you think take an armorer's course when they buy a handgun? Secondly, with S&W's superb customer service, getting one fixed is pretty easy.

Secondly, while very few of the gucci tacticool plastic holster makers service the 3rd gen S&Ws, plenty of other holster makers still do.

If the gun fits your hand, they are very solid options.

A couple years ago I thought I would get my first 9mm. I Googled "best 9mm" and the first link was a website listing models ranked, but under $650. I read about a brand, CZ, that I had never heard of before. I noticed whoever came up with this list had CZs or CZ clones in the number one and two spots, as well as several others further down the list. I ended up buying a couple CZ 75 clones made in Turkey by Canik55, which are imported by Tristar. At the time, these guns were about half the price of a CZ. They shoot any ammo and feel really good in my hands. I bought both at Academy Sports. Tristar C-100 and Tristar S-120. The C-100 has an aluminum alloy frame and is considered a compact. The S-120 is a fullsize all steel gun. These sell in the $330 to $400 price range. They are well made guns, reliable, accurate. Nice triggers and the only plastic is the grips.
    Last edited by Papershoot; 10-12-2014 at 03:23 PM.

"Reliable new guns for those on a limited budget".

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    This is a disservice to new shooters...

If the gun fits your hand, they are very solid options.
    Comments like this are the very reason I was drawn to the third gen. I'm not saying it was a bad purchase, but for a new shooter who doesn't know what they want a modern platform that is still in production might be a better choice. I am still an inexperienced shooter compared to most on this board, but I do view purchasing the 5906 first as a waste. I ended up trading it off for a more modern design. I was just trying to relay my experience, not do anyone a disservice. If someone had spoken to me frankly about buying an obsolete design instead of a modern pistol I may have made a different choice. The gunternet is completely enamored with the third gen s&w and I believe that most new shooters would be better served with purchasing a modern design, especially with the low price point of the M&P series. I have seen new M&Ps online and in stores for $350-400, and third gens are about the same. Just trying to relay my experience of buyers remorse and maybe help out other beginners.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

well,if cdnn doesn't rape one on shipping,i will go with the ppx deal. will follow with my non expert opp once i shoot it. never liked walther ppk etc. the worst triggers ever on a rather expensive gun. worst thing is loosing a few $ on resale. and it's going to be the in car gun so losss to theft won't be a huge issue. happened to me before. IMHO this is a very needed and worthwhile thread.

User Tag List