Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Reliable new guns for those on a limited budget".

"Reliable new guns for those on a limited budget".

Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    thanks. looking at the rugers for $ reasons. retirement income is not compatible with shooting 2k rounds a week thru 3 or 4 $800 guns. thus,my questions on several forums here. walther ppx from cdnn is looking real good now. cheaper than used glocks-which seem a bit pricey for what they are at various sites.
    Best buys (IMHO) include the Ruger SR9C, Sig SP2022, Walther PPX, and the S&W SD9VE. Lots of info here on PF.

For smaller CCW guns the aforementioned Ruger LCP and LC9s are good choices.

Overall, I would recommend buying what you really like, because ammo is more expensive, unless you plan on shooting once a year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Best buys (IMHO) include the Ruger SR9C, Sig SP2022, Walther PPX, and the S&W SD9VE. Lots of info here on PF.

For smaller CCW guns the aforementioned Ruger LCP and LC9s are good choices.

Overall, I would recommend buying what you really like, because ammo is more expensive, unless you plan on shooting once a year.
    I'll add the CZ P- 07 to that list of best buys they are sub & 450 locally and either slick guns or grab a gun had then recently for under $400.

I think this should become a separate topic, "Reliable new guns for those on a limited budget".

I agree with most comments listed. I'm not too impressed with the reliability of the couple of Ruger SR9's I've seen.

I would take a hard look at the following:

CZ P-07/P-09
    Walther PPX
    S&W SD9VE
    Sig 2022

Depending on your preference, I think you'd find something in this list that would work very well for your needs.

I would add the CZ P-01 and 75D PCR. Both the same length, height, and weight (alu frame instead of plastic) as the P-07, but with the superb grip geometry of the 75. The 75D PCR is also noticeably less bulky when worn IWB.

They are typically $100 more than a P-07 but well worth a look.

The SIG SP2022 two-tone 9mm with night sights from Top Gun is hard to beat at $399.00.

I ya'll have actual experience with a particular gun then please expand on what that might be.

Not asking for a copy of the S&W SD9 test thread, but some background more than "xxx 9mm is a nice gun" would be nice.

I started off with a used police trade in Beretta.The piece cosmetically looked like it fell out of the squad car a few times , but it left no doubt as to accuracy or reliability.I offer that option because one can still acquire quality guns at a very good discount. Why bother with a Ruger SR or P2022 for $450 when one can order a Sig CPO P226/P229 for $575, or a used USP for the same price and gain the marginal utility of those models?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I started off with a used police trade in Beretta.The piece cosmetically looked like it fell out of the squad car a few times , but it left no doubt as to accuracy or reliability.I offer that option because one can still acquire quality guns at a very good discount. Why bother with a Ruger SR or P2022 for $450 when one can order a Sig CPO P226/P229 for $575, or a used USP for the same price and gain the marginal utility of those models?
    Because for some people $100 is still big money.

Example; I'm helping a kid out right now that was about to buy a $100 HiPoint from a friend so that he would have a pistol to keep with him at his overnight job. I found him a deal on a decent $200 used 9mm and he simply doesn't have the extra $100 right now.

In my experience, a used gun from a brand with a reputation for reliability is better than a new "low price" gun. I have had very good luck with used 3rd Generation S&W autoloaders (picked up a 4046 for $350), used P30 V3 (picked up for $550), and Glock 19 (picked up for $400). I have also bought several Springfield Armory 1911-pattern pistols for about $500. All of those guns ran fine as bought, with the exception of the Glock 19 which needed a new extractor.

In the grand scheme, ammo costs for a shooter dwarf the cost of the gun.

Walther PPX (9x19 or .40) for $279.99, with $100 in accessories included in the mail in rebate. Definitely a good buy for the cash.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-pp...l#.VDqjQvldXD4

User Tag List