Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ruger sr series

reliable low budget guns forum-a great idea. really the reason for a lot of my questioning posts. these days $ really matter. but everyone,especially the poorest and weakest,do need the tools of self defense. col colt as the equalizer is still valid and necessary today.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense unless there is something you are not telling us.

One Ruger runs like a raped ape. You have nearly 10K rounds through the platform. You have never experienced any issues with your examples. But it ranks lowers than a bunch of others. WHY?

If the pistol sucks, say why. If you won't, why make some cryptic confusing post that sheds no light on the subject and leaves unanswered questions?
    Difficulty in finding holsters, lack of aftermarket support especially with regards to sights, pointless safety catch, pointless LCI, pointless magazine disconnect safety, poor triggers in general.

Just because a gun performs its designed function (shoot bullets) for high round counts doesn't mean it's as good a choice as other guns that are out there. But the truth of the SR series is that it doesn't suck. It's also not better than Glocks or M&Ps, and does a few things absolutely worse than the class leaders. There's no real reason to buy one other than "I want to be a pretty snowflake". The good news is that if you do get one, my experience is that it will probably work.

That safety will eat your hand up on the 40 though.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Difficulty in finding holsters, lack of aftermarket support especially with regards to sights, pointless safety catch, pointless LCI, pointless magazine disconnect safety, poor triggers in general.

Just because a gun performs its designed function (shoot bullets) for high round counts doesn't mean it's as good a choice as other guns that are out there. But the truth of the SR series is that it doesn't suck. It's also not better than Glocks or M&Ps, and does a few things absolutely worse than the class leaders. There's no real reason to buy one other than "I want to be a pretty snowflake". The good news is that if you do get one, my experience is that it will probably work.

That safety will eat your hand up on the 40 though.
    I'm right there with you, except for the triggers part. If you have or had the original trigger, yes, it was bad. If you have or had the revised trigger, it is truly one of the better out of the box triggers in the category. I got rid of mine because of the safety and because Glocks are simply more convenient to own, so this isn't an attempt to justify an owned piece. It just is what it is. That trigger is one of the best points to SR pistols.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy View Post
    I'm right there with you, except for the triggers part. If you have or had the original trigger, yes, it was bad. If you have or had the revised trigger, it is truly one of the better out of the box triggers in the category. I got rid of mine because of the safety and because Glocks are simply more convenient to down, so this isn't an attempt to justify an owned piece. It just is what it is. That trigger is one of the best points to SR pistols.

The SR pistol's niche is offering the poor sods in gun control territory a new production striker gun. Careful searching on the used market or strategic use of a Uhaul moving van will permit accessb to aesthetically and functionally better offerings, as Mr Giddings notes.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The SR pistol's niche is offering the poor sods in gun control territory a new production striker gun. Careful searching on the used market or strategic use of a Uhaul moving van will permit accessb to aesthetically and functionally better offerings, as Mr Giddings notes.
    I'd disagree, sort of, because I agree that the evident purpose of the SR pistols is as you say. Having said that, it should be acknowledged that firearms often defy the need for a niche, as many people simply buy whatever sparkles to their eye. Many SR buyers don't care that they could get other options at the same price point. They often just think it looks sexy or appreciate that it shoots well. At least, that was my observation from behind the counter. I even knew a DEA field agent who maintained qualification with a personal SR9c so he could carry it.

This isn't an attempt to say it's the greatest thing ever, of course. I'm simply offering an objective view. I carry a Glock every day, and consider M&P, PPQ, VP9, and others to be preferable to the SR series.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The SR pistol's niche is offering the poor sods in gun control territory a new production striker gun.
    No it's not. It was conceived to be Ruger's version of a Glock, but to beat it on price. So that's who buys it. People who were gonna buy an XD because it's cheaper than a Glock, but their buddy already has an XD and they want to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy View Post
    I'm right there with you, except for the triggers part. If you have or had the original trigger, yes, it was bad. If you have or had the revised trigger, it is truly one of the better out of the box triggers in the category. I got rid of mine because of the safety and because Glocks are simply more convenient to own, so this isn't an attempt to justify an owned piece. It just is what it is. That trigger is one of the best points to SR pistols.

I had ones that had the upgraded trigger, and I will say that pulling the magazine disconnect greatly improved the triggers on the guns.

Long time lurker first time poster. Great forum and another excellent discussion. How are the SR's holding up over significant round counts? I have 3 I'm just getting started with but so far so good.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Tuefelhunden View Post
    Long time lurker first time poster. Great forum and another excellent discussion. How are the SR's holding up over significant round counts? I have 3 I'm just getting started with but so far so good.

T
    Mine held up just fine. I have records of an SR9c going about 4k, an SR40 going about 3.5k, and SR9 doing about 2.5k. While these are not considerable numbers in light of what some of the pistols on this forum have experienced, I never as mentioned ran into any functional issues. Again though, because of the availability of other guns on the market that offer more in terms of end user support and ergonomics, I wouldn't recommend one.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Mine held up just fine. I have records of an SR9c going about 4k, an SR40 going about 3.5k, and SR9 doing about 2.5k. While these are not considerable numbers in light of what some of the pistols on this forum have experienced, I never as mentioned ran into any functional issues. Again though, because of the availability of other guns on the market that offer more in terms of end user support and ergonomics, I wouldn't recommend one.
    Thank you caleb. Very helpful. Exact models I have. I'm rather invested in and high on the HK USP/USPc platform and picked up my SR's with pretty low expectations but confess they are growing on me. The dual thumb safety and overall thickness of the slide and frame made them a compelling option for me to try for the purpose of bellyband and AIWB carry. Ditched the LCI and mag disconnect on all 3. Time will tell but good to hear about other folks more knowledgeable than I are having/had success with them.

T

User Tag List