Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: safariland holsters

safariland holsters

Ok I know when to admit that I am overwhelmed. I just completed my Pennsylvania ACT 235 training to be armed security guard. I will be working part time with a small company. I have to purchase a level 3 security holster. Here are my questions and any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be carrying a glock 19 with a surefire x300U light on it.
    1) What is the difference and what do you recommend between the safariland 6360 and the 7360. I can see the design differences just not sure which is “better”.
    2) Standard height or 1 ˝ drop? I will be using this on a duty belt?
    3) on the safariland site they say that they do not have the 7360 for my gun but on lapolicegear it is listed for sale. Does anyone known which is correct.
    I am sorry if these should like stupid questions it’s all new to me and way overwhelmed at this point.

Everyone has opinions, but when it is all boiled down it is a matter of preference. They are different, but one is not better than the other. It boils down to which differences you like. I prefer a higher riding holster so the 1.5" drop probably wouldn't be my choice, but another user might prefer it. Can you try out the two holsters a bit by borrowing gear from from other officers in the company?
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

That is probably the thing I will do. I will just have to get to know them better I don't think they want to lend things to the new guy. And i am part time and am just doing fill in work as of now. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't really need a full "hey, loan me that holster for a while" to get a feel for things. In about 5 minutes you can see how the holster feels when you sit, when you are standing, whether it gets in the way when you are moving around, if it works with the way you prefer to wear your clothing, etc. Good luck!
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I would not do 1.5" drop, unless I was regularly some sort of vest that made the regular holster unpractical. It's hard to index your elbow over the grip, which makes it hard to keep your pistol "outta sight and outta mind", with the 1.5" drop it's really hanging out there for the entire world to see. In a gun grab that extra 1.5" below your center of gravity is that much harder to defend against. If your sitting a lot, the bottom of the holster can hit the chair/seat, push up on your hip and cause all sorts of funky back pain/discomfort.

Between the two models of holsters I'd buy whichever is in stock, most of the online places don't stock many holsters and delivery can range from a couple weeks to a couple months.

The new 7TS models are getting some good reviews. The only reason I haven't purchased one to mess with yet is that I'm mandated to use basket weave (:roll eyes: ) and that's not an option with the new shell design. Yet anyway. Reports are that these come with mounting holes for both a regular mid-ride height and the 1.5" drop, FWIW, so you don't have to choose one or the other. Even with the standard duty Safarilands (I use a 6360), the switch only requires a new UBL hanger which is like a $10 proposition.

There's a thread over on LF that has some good info and impressions. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/ne...riland-holster

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    ... I'm mandated to use basket weave ...

To go with your 1873 Colt SSA revolvers, right?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself…

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    The new 7TS models are getting some good reviews. The only reason I haven't purchased one to mess with yet is that I'm mandated to use basket weave (:roll eyes: ) and that's not an option with the new shell design. Yet anyway. Reports are that these come with mounting holes for both a regular mid-ride height and the 1.5" drop, FWIW, so you don't have to choose one or the other. Even with the standard duty Safarilands (I use a 6360), the switch only requires a new UBL hanger which is like a $10 proposition.

There's a thread over on LF that has some good info and impressions. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/ne...riland-holster

t
    I have one, it uses the regular 3 hole Safariland UBL mounting system, any of the UBL mounts will work with it. It looks like it has a couple degrees of cant in it, which should solve the front sight eating the ALS lock that happens on some of the 6360's. I can't use it on duty either because it has a "futuristic" look that is not "uniform".

If you're forced to have a Level III the 6360 is an excellent choice. My dept has issued them since they first came out.

That said my personal preference is a 6280 which is considered Level II.

For any of the Glock models the 6360 rides plenty low at its standard ride height. Any lower and you'll have trouble sitting in a car. The drop is needed on a 6280 for a 1911 or Beretta where they have the thing riding so dang high and at about a 10 degree cant that it's up in your armpit.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    To go with your 1873 Colt SSA revolvers, right?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself…

Nope. Not quite THAT old skool. Model 15. ;-)

Just kidding. But, yeah, I don't think our uni standards are gonna be changing any time soon. ;-)

t

User Tag List