Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Frame Trigger Reset Problems

J Frame Trigger Reset Problems

I just bought a new 642. In 150 rounds I’ve had the trigger fail to reset 3 times. I’m not sure if it’s me or the gun, is it possible for the shooter to induce a failure like this? The gun is stock except for VZ grips.

First time was with Hornady 110, recoil on that was a bit stout, and the cylinder was out of battery at the same time so I’m thinking my thumb MAY have hit the cylinder release in recoil? Can’t say for sure.

Second time was with Blazer 130 FMJ. I remember feeling like the recoil on that round was stronger than usual for that ammo for some reason too. Last time it happened was with a Fiocchi wadcutter, very little recoil on that round.

Haven’t had the issue with Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.

I’ve never had this issue before. I’ve shot 357s out of M&P 340s and an 340 PD, and other than hating it didn’t have a problem. I’m not particularly recoil sensitive, so I don’t think it’s me, but I can’t say for certain. Haven’t had anyone else shoot the gun yet. I’ve had a number of j frames though and never had this issue so I’m hesitant to blame myself here. I’ve tried but can’t make this happen in dry fire.

Is it time to send the gun back to S&W?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't imagine ammo having any affect whatsoever on trigger reset. Yes it's time to call S&W.

Site Supporter
    Trigger reset occurs when the rebound spring forces the rebound slide back into position. The smaller J frames have the same 17 coil rebound spring as do the other frame sizes. It is a strong spring. There are a number of things that an armorer would check. Take advice offered and call Smith. Don't give them opportunity to deny warranty service because you removed the side plate and "worked on" the revolver. You have a fine handgun.

Have you cleaned the internal parts and lubed? A lot of new guns come with metal shavings inside and /or little to no lube.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    Have you cleaned the internal parts and lubed? A lot of new guns come with metal shavings inside and /or little to no lube.
    This, mine was bone dry, just a little lube and I put in a weaker rebound spring to improve the trigger pull and it still came out with a better return.

S&W .22 model 34

Back in the 1980's I bought a new S&W .22 revolver. I think it was the model 34. Handy little revolver. The stock action was so rough that I could pull the hammer back about half-way, take my thumb off the hammer, and the action would remain frozen there. One would think the hammer would fall forward.......but no......just frozen. I sent it off to a long forgotten gunsmith for an "action job" and it came back all smoothed out. Lighter, but reliable trigger pull.

Not too many reasons a trigger won't reset, so send it to S&W.

As previously mentioned it might be best to contact S&W first before digging into it and possibly effecting the warranty. If you mark up the side plate screws where it’s obvious they have been removed they might question it. Having said that, the side plate screws might be loose. If you have a flat head that fits them perfectly, are comfy that it can be done without marking them then maybe check to make sure they are not loose. That might be about as deep into it as you want to dive because it is new and I’d send it back for them to check it regardless.

Is the trigger stuck, not fully returned and you have to manually push it forward to reset it?

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post

Is the trigger stuck, not fully returned and you have to manually push it forward to reset it?
    It’ll move forward about maybe 1/4” and stop. Manually pushing it forward works or the last time when I pulled it all the way back to the rear it reset.

I’m not taking the gun apart. It’s brand new, if it needs work it’s going back to the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you’re a fairly experienced J-frame shooter.

I’d take some wadcutters and get a good lock down grip. Make sure you flag your thumb down to prevent hitting the latch. And fire it slowly and quickly. Make sure to come off the trigger entirely between shots.

That should give you a pretty good idea if it’s the gun. Because it should stick. If it sticks - clean thoroughly and use silicone spray or lithium grease. If you’re still having issues. Either send to Smith or replace the rebound spring.

That's why I like to order through Davidson's if I don't buy in person. With the issue you have and if you are still within their time frame, they will take it back for replacement or refund. I tried twice to buy a 642 from the performance center. The first had the barrel clocked and the second did also, though not as much but it had a very sluggish trigger return. My dealer returned both for a refund and I moved on. I'd call them first and try to get a free shipping label back since it is still new. Good luck with yours. It probably just needs cleaned and oiled. I'd guess something is floating around in there and blocks smooth travel every once in a while.

User Tag List