Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 442 Failure

S&W 442 Failure

Earlier this summer, I found some unusual wear on the hammer nose bushing of my S&W model 442-2. It started as minor deformation at or about the viewer’s 3:00 position (shooter’s 9:00) in the photo below. As it was causing no issues at the time, I elected to watch it as it progressively increased to what you see pictured.

In early August, I shot 94 rounds through this 442 during an IDPA match. After the match, I noted all new deformation at 6:00 on the bushing. There also seemed to be a faint crack developing across it, but I was unable to capture it in the photo.

This gun is serial number DCU####, in service since ~04/2011, and has fired 1,819 rounds to date.

L/R View

Fast response from my S&W LE rep got a call tag to me quickly (8/11) and I shipped the gun to MA. I heard back from the factory on or about 08/27 and learned the gun was not repairable. Staff in MA requested an FFL for shipment of a replacement, which was transmitted with receipt confirmed on 08/29. Noting that the gun was a no-lock 442, a replacement without a lock was specifically requested. Status checks to MA thereafter on 09/08 and 09/22 have gone unanswered.

As I await that response and replacement, does anyone have any theories on causality? Is it a simple part quality anomaly, or are there other visible indications of a larger issue with this particular frame? Armorer inspection revealed all else to be in spec, with no excess play or other problem. A check of a couple dozen other Js shows no similar wear patterns. That includes a 642 BUG at ~2k rounds (documented), and others with higher counts (reported). I do perceive some greater visible wear compared to some of those others, but that’s subjective.

All thoughts appreciated.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I've never seen, or even heard, of such a parts failure.

Did you have any primers punctured by the firing pin? It almost looks like burn damage?

I've been disappointed with S&W quality lately, but very happy with their customer service. They should take care of your problem. If you have questions about your replacement call their CS phone line.

OBTW, they will also reimburse you any FFL transfer fees... If they haven't offered, just ask.

Edmo

Quote Originally Posted by Edmo View Post
    Did you have any primers punctured by the firing pin? It almost looks like burn damage...

Edmo
    None known.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I have two pistols showing this sort of breech face erosion; a Glock 19, and an HK45C. I have seen it on a few other brands, but never on a revolver.

I have tried everything I know of to localize the cause, and have pretty much eliminated the ammunition. There were simply NO signs of primer blow-by or other gas leakage.

The only thing remaining is metal fatigue/failure, I suppose. Perhaps Bill Riehl or another engineer type has more gouge.

My G19 is a Bowie custom, so no sense in sending that slide in; they'll tell me to pound sand. The HK isn't as bad, so I've decided to just keep shooting it. It hasn't gotten any worse in the past year or so, but if it does I'll send it to HK and see what happens.

The G19 I've semi-retired; it has actual HOLES in the breech face around the striker hole. It still works, but no sense in tempting fate. And no, I haven't fired any "green" ammo through either pistol. That stuff is known for this, I hear, due to the primers or something.

Site Supporter
    Could the part have had voids when cast / mim'ed like the subject of BLR's Why through hardening matters thread ?

Sorry cant link from my phone

While I wouldn't put it past S&W to use MIM in such an important area as the firing pin bushing, AFAIK these parts are still made from real steel.

And the the breech faces on my Glock and HK aren't MIM; the G19 is eaten up every bit as bad as this revolver.

Bizarre, to say the least.

The only thing I ever saw that looked close was a M700 bolt face pock marked by rounds loaded with improper powder. Not saying that happened here as you'd have noticed other signs real quick, just that it looks similar.

I'm guessing "green" primers in your ammo.
    Probably done on purpose or by mistake during the "great ammo famine of 2013-2014" when primers and powder were scarce and manufacturers were shoving bullets into cases willy nilly.
    I've seen a lot of weird ammo over the past year and a half or so.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I have two pistols showing this sort of breech face erosion; a Glock 19, and an HK45C. I have seen it on a few other brands, but never on a revolver.

I have tried everything I know of to localize the cause, and have pretty much eliminated the ammunition. There were simply NO signs of primer blow-by or other gas leakage.

The only thing remaining is metal fatigue/failure, I suppose. Perhaps Bill Riehl or another engineer type has more gouge.

My G19 is a Bowie custom, so no sense in sending that slide in; they'll tell me to pound sand. The HK isn't as bad, so I've decided to just keep shooting it. It hasn't gotten any worse in the past year or so, but if it does I'll send it to HK and see what happens.

The G19 I've semi-retired; it has actual HOLES in the breech face around the striker hole. It still works, but no sense in tempting fate. And no, I haven't fired any "green" ammo through either pistol. That stuff is known for this, I hear, due to the primers or something.

Don't be so sure....I had a heavily modified G21 frame once that was having some issues & they took it back, replaced it, no questions asked. I thought for sure I was on my own because I had removed the finger grooves & stippled it, but they didn't say a word about it.

User Tag List