Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme Races - Physical Fitness

Extreme Races - Physical Fitness

Just completed a Spartan Race trifecta today and was curious to learn who else considers physical fitness as crucial to their self defense planning? It usually aggravates me to see people taking self defense classes who get out of breath from loading magazines.

I do, but you already knew that.

Site Supporter
    I do a good bit of cardio, I average about 24 hours / month.

For the last 2 weeks I have 8 hours logged with my HR >= 75% of my max HR, looking back the past 12 months - it's almost 200 hours.
    Last edited by JV_; 10-04-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I do, but you already knew that.
    Yeah, you'll be invited to the next race. Tough Mudder in spring.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I'm not going to say I've never gone through slacker phases during which I skip the gym or the track or the ring or whatever...I've slacked off hard before, for months or maybe even a couple of years in my mid-twenties.

But in general, I am a big believer in physical fitness and I try to cross-train my body with weights and cardio.

I'll take a good shooter seriously on the subject of shooting whether they're physically fit or not - although I think improvements in physical fitness almost universally improve performance of all physical tasks, including shooting, so a great shooter in lousy shape could probably be a superb shooter if they improved their fitness. But still, a great shooter is someone I'll pay attention to if we're talking about technical shooting skills.

But when people start talking survival - whether wilderness, zombie, or street - if they're not in good shape I'll pretty much tune them out. Now that could take multiple forms; my strength coach is an ex-UFC fighter who probably runs around 25% body fat. He also squats around 600lb and could probably beat the five fastest marathoners in the world to death with each other if they were all in a room together. If it was an open field...they'd all get away. Who's more prepared for survival? Hard to say.

The people I ignore are the people who run high body fat, don't know their current max deadlift, and still think they're "pretty strong" because they're "big".

Or who are scrawny because their diet consists of two Mr. Noodles a day and a steady intake of Call Of Duty and Arfcom.

Basically, if you're not actively pushing yourself on SOME physical front...I'm probably not interested in your take on "survival".
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Even though I was never in the military my opinion of mud races:

5 workouts a week, early AM. Weights, rowing, some running. At 57 I'm finding it much much harder to train "blood in the mouth" like even 10 years ago. But yeah, it's a major priority and has been since 1972.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Yeah, you'll be invited to the next race. Tough Mudder in spring.
    Pretty sure I'm busy that weekend. 😎

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    5 workouts a week, early AM. Weights, rowing, some running. At 57 I'm finding it much much harder to train "blood in the mouth" like even 10 years ago. But yeah, it's a major priority and has been since 1972.
    Wait a few more years!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Even though I was never in the military my opinion of mud races:
    Sorry, that is what I think every time I hear about "Spartan" races, Tough Mudders, etc.

User Tag List