Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is best weapon to carry when you can't carry a firearm?

What is best weapon to carry when you can't carry a firearm?

My girlfriend is not inclined to carry a firearm although she said she is willing to use something else. She does have pepper-spray, but it brought up an interesting question for me too since I can't carry "everywhere."

What is the next best alternative to a firearm?
    Mace/Pepper Spray;
    Taser;
    Stun-Guns;
    Knives;
    Tactical Flashlight stun guns;
    Expandable Stun Wands;
    Keychain attached

Combinations?

What's the consensus?

Thanks,
    CC

The consensus will probably be "it depends".
    I always choose the knife first if it's a legal option.
    I'd have to be stuck with a pretty small knife (<2" blade) before I'd drop back and punt with sprays or sticks.

btw: someone who's not willing to shoot an attacker is going to have a real tough time stabbing or slashing one. Knives are damn personal weapons.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

btw: someone who's not willing to shoot an attacker is going to have a real tough time stabbing or slashing one. Knives are damn personal weapons.
    QFT!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter

Cool

I always have a folder, Surefire and kubaton on my person. Most of the time i'm carrying, except at work.

If legal, a knife. I'd definitely avoid pepper spray.

A good walking cane (and training) or a walking staff gives you some reach and can be very effective. In this age of ADA, suspect it will right through security too.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Stun-Guns;
    Tactical Flashlight stun guns;
    Expandable Stun Wands
    Snake oil.

I don't know anything about the consumer offering from Taser, the C2, but any other "stun gun" on the market is likely to be total bull. People see the success of the Taser in police hands and assume that "a stun gun is a stun gun." But I can tell you from personally trying a number of consumer options that they don't do jack. They make a somewhat menacing sound and have a cool visual appearance, but they don't hurt that much and they certainly don't incapacitate.

My buddies and I used to shock each other in high school with those ZOMG 8,000,000,000,000 VOLT LIGHTNING STUN GUNS!!!!!
    If I was able to tolerate it as well as I did, I can't even imagine how easily an attacker would shrug it off.

Maybe the technology has changed in the last few years, but I haven't heard any indication of it. Nor do I know any reputable self-defense instructors who recommend them.

Again, I can't speak to actual Taser brand offerings. They're in a different league, which is reflected in their price.

My funny little honey has a permit to carry, is a fair shot, can be as mean as a snake but doesn't carry. The smallest gun is too much trouble. But she'll pack a knife. We've drilled and I've been "cut" to ribbons with chalk. Sick hand speed. I like knives.

I think knives are especially effective for women. If I get jumped it'll be with weapons or a sucker punch/blind side take out. I won't be just grabbed by a cretin who just knows he can pull me into his van or down the alley etc. That assumption and physical proximity makes that knife especially effective for a gal. In my opinion.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Body armor
    Taser
    Knife
    Club like device

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    If legal, a knife. I'd definitely avoid pepper spray.
    Why would you avoid pepper spray?

I'll throw in a good small flashlight, legal everywhere, even on planes, and this;

http://real-self-defense.com/unbreakable-umbrella/

User Tag List