Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 50-60 round fundamental carbine drill set

50-60 round fundamental carbine drill set

I'm attempting to work within the OP's parameters whereas you're suggesting redefining the OP's parameters.

I'm trying to get a clearer picture of the OP's skill level with the carbine and what his definition of home defense is in relation to his specific confines so we can all give better suggestions on drills specific to the OP's needs.

NickDrak,

My overall skill level with a carbine is basically this:

I can zero an AR properly and hit what I aim at in slow fire type stuff. Just as an example, a USPSA A-zone at 50 yards off-hand is a snap for me.

I was in this boat a couple years ago with the pistol, and didn't know where to start as far as incorporating time into the equation. "Gamer" materials helped de-mystify that process, and I started with 7 yard Bill Drills, then 2R2, then on to El Presidente, and on and on and on.

My carbine mission is a bit different. Whereas I compete on the reg with the pistol and am very interested in developing GM level handgun shooting skills, with the carbine, it's more of a "build enough skill where it's adequate for my home defense plan" type of thing. By home defense, since I have no children to secure in the event of an invasion, my wife and I can hunker down in the bedroom, call 911, and wait for responding LE unless they decide to come in after US. They are welcome to the TV or whatever they want to haul out as long as they do not enter the bedroom and attempt to physically harm us. Should it come to that, where I'm basically forced to shoot to protect us from death or great bodily harm, I want to have enough skill to come out on top.

I realize I didn't really explain all of this fully in my OP, I was trying to keep the post brief enough that it didn't become a novel.

One last thought,

One of the reasons I mentioned running the middle section of the 1/2 and 1/2 with three targets in a 3 shot, 4 shot, 3 shot format was to get some transition work in addition to the "mount and control the recoil" tested by the single target.

I do this some with the handgun version of The Test. Draw, 3 shots on left, 4 on middle, 3 on right. 8 second PAR, all hits in black to pass. I vary the engagement order, maybe 3 runs left to right, 3 starting in the middle, then 3 starting on the right. It's become a favorite drill of mine, even though it's far enough from the original procedure for The Test that it does test different skills.

Look up the 1-5 Drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Look up the 1-5 Drill.

Gotcha.

Stage 2 and 3 of the IDPA classifier, with some mild modification/personalization is a good 60-round set of drills. I'd stretch the 10 yard line to 15 and the 20 to 25, and require head-shots at certain strings. If you don't believe in "cover" you can substitute lateral transitions.

http://www.cbshooters.com/idpa/files...and_Layout.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    By home defense, since I have no children to secure in the event of an invasion, my wife and I can hunker down in the bedroom, call 911, and wait for responding LE unless they decide to come in after US.
    How big is your bedroom? How big can a bedroom possibly be in a typical, middle to upper middle class home? How many points of entry are there to it? My bet is just one.

Jesus, with an AR and 30 rounds on board you need to know nothing more than your sight offset (since this will be very up close and personal) and how to hammer someone's chest inside of 5 - 7 yards as fast as humanly possible. Maybe work on some lateral target transitions in case two come through the door instead of one.

This ain't rocket science

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    How big is your bedroom? How big can a bedroom possibly be in a typical, middle to upper middle class home? How many points of entry are there to it? My bet is just one.
    We've toured a few McMansions just for fun, a master suite in newer construction can run as large as our first house, and may in fact have multiple entrances. ANd a master bathroom as big as normal bedrooms. And walk-in closets, yes, plural, I was getting smacked for speculating out loud about turning one into a gun vault. One we saw had a balcony to sit on in the morning and enjoy your coffee, had a nice view of the last drive-in theater in western Washington...

Not that you're wrong about the tactical aspects of hunkering down in the master bedroom, calling 911, and waiting with an AR or two.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post

Jesus, with an AR and 30 rounds on board you need to know nothing more than your sight offset (since this will be very up close and personal) and how to hammer someone's chest inside of 5 - 7 yards as fast as humanly possible. Maybe work on some lateral target transitions in case two come through the door instead of one.

This ain't rocket science
    Is a home invasion where one might employ an AR MORE or LESS likely than an armed confrontation where one might use a handgun outside the home?

User Tag List