Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Taurus - Look at this mess

A buddy of mine has a Taurus 605. Several years ago while he was away at Army basic I looked after his guns for him. One day I was checking on everything, dry-fired the Taurus, and the transfer bar snapped in two locking the gun up tight. The gun had, at the most, 300 rounds through it.
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

Site Supporter
    I almost hate to admit that I have a Taurus. It's a Raging Raging Bull chambered in Ruger .480. I bought it long ago for backpacking in bear country. Even though I giggle like a kid each time I shoot it, threads like this make me real glad I never had to put it to it's intended use.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I plan on continuing my "quest for a budget 38" with an Armscor wheelie soon, because hell at least they have a robust IPSC culture in the Philippines.
    Armscor 1911's are ok (though, based upon experience, I wouldn't expect to get a high round count out of them), but the revolvers have a somewhat dubious reputation. I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a new, reliable, budget .38. I tend to think that buying a used Model 10/64 is the way to go. But I hope that you prove that wrong. There is a lot to be said for lower-priced .38's.

If your time and ammo expense to prove gun reliability is considered, Taurus and similar are not less expensive.
    Every time they send it back/replace it you have to test again.
    KITTEN that !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2alpha-down0 View Post
    A buddy of mine has a Taurus 605. Several years ago while he was away at Army basic I looked after his guns for him. One day I was checking on everything, dry-fired the Taurus, and the transfer bar snapped in two locking the gun up tight. The gun had, at the most, 300 rounds through it.
    I also had the bad 605 mdl. It was ok till shooting 150-200rds. Of mostly .38's. Then it would lock up tight , clean it and next time out same lock up but only after 5-15 rds. It was returned to Tauras 2x for repair as it locked up with only a few rds fired of .38's not even magnum loads. On the THIRD trip they sent me a NEW 605 w/ key lock. I put 10 rds of mag ammo thru it, cleaned it and put it away. Not sure when it will ever be fired again.

I almost purchased a Tauras auto, I opened the safe, looked at the 605 still sitting in the box.
    Lesson learned !

Mike

I can't afford guns that cheap.

^^^Laconic truth.

User Tag List