Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loctite on dove tail sights

Site Supporter
    For sights that are a very tight fit, I don't worry about it, though I do always use some type of thread locker on sights that use a set screw. On dovetail sights with a looser fit, I've had good luck with loctite keeping in place a sight that would otherwise drift.

Bumping this back from the dead...

Once I put loctite in the dovetail, how long do I have to make adjustments? Can I install the sight at home and check it on the range 30-60 minutes later and if necessary drift if then? Or do I need to install & loctite the sight at the range and verify/adjust zero immediately?

^^^^^^^
    I imagine that it would depend on which flavor of locktite that you use. Directions ought to be on the tube or in the packaging.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    From building cars over the years, I have found that there are many flavors of Loctite.

For sights, once you have them where you want them, use green Loctite (290). It is about the strength of blue, but made to apply after parts are together. It wicks in between surfaces. Clean the sights of all oil before assembling.

Good stuff. Racers building aluminum gas tanks, brake fluid reservoirs, etc. use it after welding to take care of weld porosity.

Also very convenient after you have torqued bolts, you don't have to disassemble and put the blue on.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

User Tag List