Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loctite on dove tail sights

Loctite on dove tail sights

Is it necessary if the sights are fitted well? I've never used it and it hasn't been an issue yet, but if it does have some benefit it's an easy thing to do.

Everyone I've ever known used some Blue Loctite 242 on anything with a set screw. I know a few people who use it on the rear as well just running a little along the ledge of the dove tail. I have also subscribed to using this method and have never had an issue, only once have I had to drift a sight at a later date it didn't seem to cause a problem. I don't really know if its a great benefit or not but it gives me piece of mind. But to each his own I guess.

I use the blue loctite on all rear sight dovetails when I replace sights. Never has been an issue.

I use red Loc-Tite on every dovetail sight I install.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    I always use Loctite, it's cheap insurance. For front sights, I usually use 620.

I also typically use red high temp loctite on most dove tailed sights.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I use red Loc-Tite on every dovetail sight I install.
    Do any of you that use Loc-Tite that requires heat to remove use it on tritium sights and have any idea if the heat required would be an issue with the tritium lamps? Didn't know if that's a concern.

Site Supporter
    Both 620 and 272, which are the only two that I use, are supposed require heat to remove. I haven't found that heat is required and don't use it.

I've gotten my slides hot enough from regular shooting (like during a king of the mountain plate rack run), which also made the sights really hot, that if I had to apply a little heat I wouldn't be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Do any of you that use Loc-Tite that requires heat to remove use it on tritium sights and have any idea if the heat required would be an issue with the tritium lamps? Didn't know if that's a concern.
    I have used heat countless times on night sights without anything negative to speak of. One set is 4 years old now and still quite bright. Not sure if I reduced the overall life but being honest the life cycle for me is only a few years on sights. I also don't heat them too much. I have found that a quick wave of the torch does the trick.

ETA: Red Loctite needs to be 550 degrees F to break free.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I done a ton of sights on both SIGs and Glocks and have never used or needed it. I do use a drop on the Glock front sight screw, but not any of the dove tails. Not saying it's a bad thing, just that I've never had a problem not using it for well fitting sights.

User Tag List