Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Utility of a WML for Concealed Carry

There’s a lot that can be argued in this debate but I’ve never felt like I was giving up much to have a light on the gun but could potentially be gaining a lot of capability. With the newer lights like the TLR-7s, it’s even less intrusive. I don’t think I’d notice the difference between a G19 and a G19 with one of those.

I also tend to carry a full Roland Special because I shoot it far more effectively than any of my other guns and if I’m preparing for that day, might as well do it as long as I can still conceal it, even if it is a little more uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    There’s a lot that can be argued in this debate but I’ve never felt like I was giving up much to have a light on the gun but could potentially be gaining a lot of capability. With the newer lights like the TLR-7s, it’s even less intrusive. I don’t think I’d notice the difference between a G19 and a G19 with one of those.

I also tend to carry a full Roland Special because I shoot it far more effectively than any of my other guns and if I’m preparing for that day, might as well do it as long as I can still conceal it, even if it is a little more uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The TLR7 is a concealed carry game changer. An X300 turns every pistol into a Glock 34 in length, where as you point out, the TLR7 is just 19 length.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    With the newer lights like the TLR-7s, it’s even less intrusive. I don’t think I’d notice the difference between a G19 and a G19 with one of those.
    For quite a while, because of work hours & another consideration, I was either a G19 or later an M&P Compact with an X300/300U as my off-duty set-up. After retiring, resuming normal hours, etc, I dumped the WML - except for the riots in '20/'21. I recently acquired a TLR-7A and a couple of holsters for it. While I'm not sold on the switches, switching, I'm very happy with the combo and light's reasonable output. I would not tell someone No re this set-up.

Another big thumbs up for a TLR, in my case the 8g.

I have them on my G19.4 Rolands, and after having them, it is very difficult to warm to the idea of an X300 or similar sized light on anything that might go into my pants, even with such awesome concealment options as the Enigma-Light Bearing.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I don't carry a pistol with a WML on it daily. But I have one on ALL firearms that could be deployed in/around my home/hotel room/campsight.

Without hashing all the bits and pieces out - I think it pretty much goes like this:

Deployment of a concealed handgun in public is typically a reactive measure. Deployment of a firearm within your domicile or on your personal property is often a proactive measure.

Proactive deployment of a firearm means you are Searching, Identifying, and (potentially) Engaging a threat you reasonably believe may exist.

Reactive deployment of a firearm means you have Searched, Identified, and are now Engaged with a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I challenge you to find me a CCW scenario, ever, that required a WML to fix the problem, or even would have been the better option for the scenario than how it was handled.

Even as a night shift cop for something like 25 years my actual need for a pistol mounted light was extremely low. I'm not anti light, I was carrying lights on pistols back in the days when your only choice was a Sure Fire legacy light that looked like a 6P screwed into a big ass mounting on your gun, and we were still hose clamping MagLights onto long guns. I've taught LE instructor level trainings for decades on this subject.

I like gear, I like lights, but the idea that pistol mounted lights are a necessity is demonstrably false.

The idea that training with this gear is as simple as "I'd just" or a few live fire range trips is a trap that a LOT of people fall in to. I'd wager that lights on pistols combined with smooth brain LCD "training" is THE new leading cause on NDs in the police world in real life incidents.
    Hey Chuck, this is an older post for me so please bear with me as I am not reading back in the thread to check any earlier posts.

I don't remember saying a WML was mandatory, but I do think it is a good idea.

Your post seems to be in-line with what I think so I must have written something earlier that got this ball rolling. Again, it's been awhile so maybe I previously stated concealed carriers should have a WML, but honestly I'm very tired of any debate on the topic and truly do not care if someone does or does not use a WML.

I do think armed professionals should have them and training is an implied task with any piece of equipment. Do I recommend them for civilians, yes. Am I hell-bent on convincing civilians they should use them? Nah.

I choose to carry/use a WML because of my experiences in limited visibility combat operations which did include gunfighting. On a less serious note, but also of value, I occasionally shoot IDPA and the occasional low-light stage comes up. On these stages, the WML is an obvious advantage which is evidenced by my performance on the stage and the ever constant complaining by those who do not have them.

Bottom line: we see first then shoot. If it is dark, you will need to see. If you need a light source while you are shooting, it is better affixed to your weapon than not. Is a WML a requirement to be successful when shooting in limited visibility? No, but it does make things easier.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Is this still an argument we face today of all time periods?!

To paraphrase a friend: I want as much capability as I can reasonably have with whatever firearm I end up fighting with and I know circumstances may cause me to have to sacrifice some capability and leaving capability on the table because someone on the internet says it is bad or does not like it is dumb.

With a carbine a weapon mounted light is a requirement for a fighting/duty rifle, as is a sling and an optic. (Also, they typically have a high-capacity magazine (20 on the low end))

The carbine is the weapon I want to use if I have the choice but for most LE and Civilian shootings the weapon being used is going to be their pistol, for several reasons. One, it is the one LE always have on them and for civilians it is the one they can legitimately conceal and carry around on their persons and both are dealing with unexpected gunfights vs planned gunfights. (LE when is planning, shock usually bring rifles).

So, for me a pistol should be high capacity, an RDS, and a WML which mirrors as much as possible the carbine. The capability will never be an even match but why would I leave things on the table that are so easy to have, and we are at a point where it the easiest it has been.

There are numerous pistol WML light options available, varying in size etc. With holster to match, same with RDS for pistols. The holster is the sling and again there are so many great options out there.

User Tag List