Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Utility of a WML for Concealed Carry

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I'm very much a "do as you please" kinda guy, so I honestly couldn't care less if you're carrying with a WML or not.

With that being said...the first scenario (of many) that pops into my head is... Somedude approaches you in an area that's dark enough that you need a light to fully tell what's going on, you light him up with your handheld, you identify that is is in fact a threat and out comes the people popper, he's no longer approaching you but isn't running off either...then you hear Possible-Somedude-#2 approaching from your lateral.

Do you completely disregard Somedude-#1 (even though you've already identified him as a ne'er-do-well) to light up Possible-Somedude-#2 with your handheld, since that's your only lighting option, or do you keep your WML trained on #1 while identifying #2 as a friendly or foe?

If I'm #1, and you illuminate me but don't shoot me, and THEN you take the light off of me to look for my partner...depending on my original intent either I'm gone, or you're very hurt.
    I can create hypotheticals where if you don't have a grappling hook you are screwed. What's that prove? I can just say I've never seen an incident where a citizen carrier used a WML or where one would likely have made any difference in the outcome. Carry one if you like, I don't suppose there is any downside other than Tam's list of price and holster selection. It's just not worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I find very, very little utility for a CCW pistol with a WML. If it's something as small and easy to add as the CT trigger guard units than maybe.

I know of exactly zero incidents involving folks outside of the house in a CCW incident where a WML was needed, or any light for that matter.
    Bravo for saying it.

My bedside "home defense gun" has had an attached white light for twenty years, but for daily outside-the-house CCW, a WML is a bulky, heavy and unnecessary annoyance to me as a gray private citizen who "doesn't go dumb places...etc".

I have a separate flashlight with me all the time if I need to illuminate a dark place.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I have a separate flashlight with me all the time if I need to illuminate a dark place.
    Me too.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can create hypotheticals where if you don't have a grappling hook you are screwed.
    I can't conceal a grappling hook IWB.
    Also, as the token fat guy (it even says so under my name), even if I could conceal the hook, I still couldn't pull myself up the rope......so, there's that I guess?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I can't conceal a grappling hook IWB.
    Also, as the token fat guy (it even says so under my name), even if I could conceal the hook, I still couldn't pull myself up the rope......so, there's that I guess?
    Here you go:

Can't help on upper body strength....but maybe you just need to pull a stuck lever across a chasm, then upper body strength won't matter as much!

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I remember when a Surefire 6P 60 lumen light was blindingly bright...
    They are significantly brighter than the Mag-lites that were the top end light for a long time. I'm always surprised when folks complain how inadequate those 50 - 100 lumen lights are.
    Tamara wrote,
    ..the CTC Lightguard hasn't been a rousing sales success because it doesn't have All The Lumens, rawr! It throws a wide, even, 100-lumen beam.
    I've found 100 lumens to be about all I ever need in my typical tasks. I know there is a use for those 400+ lumen lights, but I haven't found one for my daily uses. I suppose if I was at the high school football game and the stadium lights went out I could probably pull out a 400 lumen light and they could continue the game, or if I worked at the airport and the runway lights went out I could probably light the runway up for an emergency landing.

Here's the take from Tucker Gun Leather on WML http://www.tuckergunleather.com/faq/

Q. Does Tucker recommend carrying a defensive pistol with a light attached to an accessory rail?

A. Tucker says, "If you're on a SWAT team, go for it. If not, your pistol is a quick-response tool for a sudden and extreme self-defense situation. If you have a light on the gun, you may find it distracting enough to slow down your response." (YMMV-Have your pistol your way.)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can just say I've never seen an incident where a citizen carrier used a WML or where one would likely have made any difference in the outcome.
    Tom Givens made a similar statement based on his data.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns in the world of lights. I don't know that we're there yet when it comes to "fighting" lights.

I'm still operating under the theory if "x" is good, then "2x" is better when it comes to lights.

Highly unlikely that I'll ever need a light "on the street." As others far wiser than I have pointed out, the bad guys need light to select their victims and we'll seldom, if ever, find ourselves in total darkness to begin with. Still, I carry a good, powerful light. Even in daylight, its presence may be enough to get me "deselected."

Plus I like flashlights.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Tom Givens made a similar statement based on his data.
    It's becoming a litmus for me when looking at trainers.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Plus I like flashlights.
    I'm with you man! Flashlights, knives and guns are my addictions. Here at my computer desk I just looked around and within reach are 4 flashlights and a X300U WML.

The only time I'm in a urban setting and in a dark enough place to need a light is when walking the dog because we live and walk on the very edge of town and go out in the pastures behind my house (biggest threats are feral dogs or coyotes). Since I bought the Surefire wristlight, the WML pistol stays home on the headboard.
    About the darkest urban area I've been in other than that is when the power went out at our hotel during a moonless, overcast rainy night. Even then I could see well enough to take care of handgun business if needed (I "war gamed" a little bit while wandering down to the front desk). The most useful light I had that night wasn't a retina burning tactical flashlight it was my micro LED keychain light with 200+ hour battery life.
    If there was a Garrity Invictus or Kolbeson Texas Comfort for a WML H&K, then maybe I'd look into something like the new micro-Surefire WML (maybe the Gen 2 or 3 version will be smaller with a better switch).
    As it is now the lights are too big and the holster selection too small for me to go out of my way to carry one daily, if you can or do, rock on.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-27-2015 at 09:48 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List