Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Utility of a WML for Concealed Carry

I understand the no WML logic for regular CCW use against human leg threats. For four leg threats, the WML is very handy, although I am planning on trying the Jody solution of the SF wrist light.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    So, see, the CTC Lightguard hasn't been a rousing sales success because it doesn't have All The Lumens, rawr! It throws a wide, even, 100-lumen beam.

Since I just had it off the gun to change the battery, I threw it on my postal scale: 1.6 ounces, battery included. It's narrower than the gun, and does not protrude past the muzzle nor below the trigger guard. It has a grip-activated switch below the trigger guard similar to a Surefire or Streamlight remote switch. It is completely transparent in operation; all it does is simply point 100 lumens of light at things I'm already shooting with my gun. Other than the fact that it cost money and requires special holsters, I'm not seeing a downside. I have yet to have it explained to me how this is going to get me killed on the street by ninjas.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Other than the fact that it cost money and requires special holsters, I'm not seeing a downside.
    That's the main issue for me.
    I'm very particular as to what AIWB holsters I like, they are almost all leather and none of them have a WML option of any kind.
    Since the WML adds such a small advantage, going on a holster hunt just isn't worth the time and expense to me.

I get away with a WML while camping because I usually use a kydex OWB and New Mexico has open carry if my OWB shows.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-26-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    So, see, the CTC Lightguard hasn't been a rousing sales success because it doesn't have All The Lumens, rawr! It throws a wide, even, 100-lumen beam.

Since I just had it off the gun to change the battery, I threw it on my postal scale: 1.6 ounces, battery included. It's narrower than the gun, and does not protrude past the muzzle nor below the trigger guard. It has a grip-activated switch below the trigger guard similar to a Surefire or Streamlight remote switch. It is completely transparent in operation; all it does is simply point 100 lumens of light at things I'm already shooting with my gun. Other than the fact that it cost money and requires special holsters, I'm not seeing a downside. I have yet to have it explained to me how this is going to get me killed on the street by ninjas.
    100 lumens shouts "FOOD" to the 21st century predator. With the availability of today's paint peelers, it just signals that you're not nearly tactical enough and therefore, easy pickins. Sorry.

Actually I see nothing wrong with your selection/solution.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I think that the CTC LGs were horribly under- and mis-marketed; for AIWB there external geometry is pretty ideal, and I thought that the SF XC-1 was intended to be a shot at that same dynamic before the switching ended up as a goatrope.

Even with the lumen wars ongoing, if they had a grouping of modern design and appendix-centric holsters, I think they have something to offer the market.

I remember when a Surefire 6P 60 lumen light was blindingly bright...

100 lumens!
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I'm very much a "do as you please" kinda guy, so I honestly couldn't care less if you're carrying with a WML or not.

With that being said...the first scenario (of many) that pops into my head is... Somedude approaches you in an area that's dark enough that you need a light to fully tell what's going on, you light him up with your handheld, you identify that is is in fact a threat and out comes the people popper, he's no longer approaching you but isn't running off either...then you hear Possible-Somedude-#2 approaching from your lateral.

Do you completely disregard Somedude-#1 (even though you've already identified him as a ne'er-do-well) to light up Possible-Somedude-#2 with your handheld, since that's your only lighting option, or do you keep your WML trained on #1 while identifying #2 as a friendly or foe?

If I'm #1, and you illuminate me but don't shoot me, and THEN you take the light off of me to look for my partner...depending on my original intent either I'm gone, or you're very hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I'm very much a "do as you please" kinda guy, so I honestly couldn't care less if you're carrying with a WML or not.

With that being said...the first scenario (of many) that pops into my head is... Somedude approaches you in an area that's dark enough that you need a light to fully tell what's going on, you light him up with your handheld, you identify that is is in fact a threat and out comes the people popper, he's no longer approaching you but isn't running off either...then you hear Possible-Somedude-#2 approaching from your lateral.

Do you completely disregard Somedude-#1 (even though you've already identified him as a ne'er-do-well) to light up Possible-Somedude-#2 with your handheld, since that's your only lighting option, or do you keep your WML trained on #1 while identifying #2 as a friendly or foe?

If I'm #1, and you illuminate me but don't shoot me, and THEN you take the light off of me to look for my partner...depending on my original intent either I'm gone, or you're very hurt.

Having worked night shift for decades on the street, and having a hobby of doing ride-alongs with other PDs when I am out of town, I have never been in an urban area where that scenario could/would play out.

I have no issue with people having WMLs on their pistols, except with the folks loudly proclaiming that a WML is a MUST HAVE!!! for CCW, and that so very, very many people forgo the extra training needed to safely and competently run that gear. Most of the people I see teaching "low light" also have to fucking idea what they are doing. Self appointed tactical dudes teaching folks who are new to this game is a series of bad things waiting to happen.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I don't have anything against it but I agree with chuck. I have been looked at like an idiot when I said I don't understand why you think you need it on a ccw. Most of the time it's some type of scenario\idea in their heads or they want to hang something cool off their guns. The later not being what I see on this forum, atleast all of you have reasons
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 11-26-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ... I have never been in an urban area where that scenario could/would play out.
    Fair enough.

User Tag List