Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Utility of a WML for Concealed Carry

Utility of a WML for Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post

Every day that I'm not at work...

It used to be every day, period....but now that I'm in scrubs for 60+ hours a week, my "real" gun is getting carried much less often. I absolutely HATE the fact that I'm stuck with 7+1 in a Glock 43, but I can't completely hide anything bigger.
    Does your job provide your scrubs, or do you buy your own?
    Last edited by JDM; 11-26-2015 at 04:09 AM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Hey, WMLs are great. I have a half-dozen of them, but only two are in constant use… on my dedicated "house" pistol, and my go-to carbine, both of which are placed for defense of the castle. Active LE, military, sure; these people are expected to be aggressive and pro-active. I've been on both sides of that fence, and it just seems a bit… unnecessary… to add bulk and weight (aside from lengthening one's draw stroke) to one's concealed piece that is intended for in-your-face defensive purposes.
    For people on "defense" (civilian CCW), I wonder what the scenarios are where you could get benefit from a WML. If I'm out and about and there's someone nearby that needs to be IDed, I can't use a WML. I have to use a regular light. If that person turns out to be a threat, then what? Do I drop the hand held light in favor of drawing and using the WML? Or is the niche that you're being attacked from close range, yet need a light, AND have enough time to turn on the WML? Aside from house-clearing and other "on the offense" tasks, I don't (yet) see the value add for CCW.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Curious to see if most stayed with their WML set ups?
    Still have the CTC Lightguard on my carry gun, yes. Need to change the battery today, as a matter of fact. Still haven't been convinced that being better able to see the thing at which I'm shooting is a bad idea.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

No light for my concealed carry because I just don't see the need. It was different when i was still a working trooper. There is a light-mounted pistol on my nightstand and on my carbine, but that's it. If I'm out roaming at night, there is a Fenix PD25 in my pocket for managing people and dark places.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    For people on "defense" (civilian CCW), I wonder what the scenarios are where you could get benefit from a WML. If I'm out and about and there's someone nearby that needs to be IDed, I can't use a WML. I have to use a regular light. If that person turns out to be a threat, then what? Do I drop the hand held light in favor of drawing and using the WML? Or is the niche that you're being attacked from close range, yet need a light, AND have enough time to turn on the WML? Aside from house-clearing and other "on the offense" tasks, I don't (yet) see the value add for CCW.
    I'd hang onto the handheld and draw if needed. Never know when it may be necessary to go into El KaBong mode:

A good handheld light makes a great impact weapon.
    Last edited by NETim; 11-26-2015 at 10:35 AM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I can carry a WML aiwb very comfortably, at least as well as without it. I just can't conceal it as well. Seems to push the grip out just a little too much for my liking. If I carried on the hip, it would not be an issue.

However, just to reiterate what Chuck said at the beginning, I do not see a benefit for CCW use. For professional use, absolutely, but not for CCW. Crime just doesn't work that way. I'm not against private citizens carrying WML's, and if you prefer that, have at it. Most probably need to focus on the gun stuff though, without adding the complication that a WML brings.

Now, if you have concerns about Paris style attacks, well, that may warrant a wml. Times change, as do threats.

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I'd hang onto the handheld and draw if needed.
    So would I. But the WML didn't add anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I can carry a WML aiwb very comfortably, at least as well as without it. I just can't conceal it as well. Seems to push the grip out just a little too much for my liking. If I carried on the hip, it would not be an issue.

However, just to reiterate what Chuck said at the beginning, I do not see a benefit for CCW use. For professional use, absolutely, but not for CCW. Crime just doesn't work that way. I'm not against private citizens carrying WML's, and if you prefer that, have at it. Most probably need to focus on the gun stuff though, without adding the complication that a WML brings.

Now, if you have concerns about Paris style attacks, well, that may warrant a wml. Times change, as do threats.
    I started carrying a extra mag on my belt and a "go bag" with extra stuff in my car. Still not feeling a wml for ccw.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    So would I. But the WML didn't add anything.
    I agree. The handheld is already in my hand when I exit a building out to a dark or semi-dark parking lot. HD guns have lights on them.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I have a WML on my nightstand gun (currently a VP9/Viridian X5L) because it just makes sense in that role (I might have to go into offensive search mode depending on the situation). I also use that combo when I'm out camping. Although my new Surefire wristlight has almost negated the need for a WML under camping conditions. If I end up with the Luminox/Surefire combo, that will be the only thing I use out camping (I don't mind looking like a nerd in the woods).
    A Steiner DBAL-PL and a set of NODS will be mine for the next month or so... talk about a no light advantage if you have the time to put them on.

For CCW, first there has to be enough light for the badguy to see and select me as a target. There has to be enough light and proximity for our "business transaction" to take place. There has to be enough light available for me to identify him as a threat before I can even draw my pistol. If I've drawn and he runs off into the night, I'm not going to chase or search for him.
    The WML juice isn't worth the squeeze for me.
    Even taking into account a Paris style attack, the terrs weren't knocking out the power and walking around with NODS they were standing in a lit up rock concert and deliberately aiming at people. If they can see me, I can see them.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-26-2015 at 10:51 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List