Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Utility of a WML for Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Not wanting to divert too much but I'll ask. The discussion interests me. Now my EDC is a Gen 3 G26, so no light attachment and I'm not in the mood to buy another gun right now. However, I have a Gen 4 17 which is more a competition and house in the night pickup. I read TGS like the Surefire XC1 and it's size is appealing as not a big honker.

So what's a good OWB, left side Kydex holster for this. I've search our site and the suggestions are old. JM (I have three) has some interesting ones but I want to explore possibilities from reputable companies.
    @dontshakepandas
    @TGS
    @joshs
    @luckyman

FWIW, Black Point Tactical offers a very wide array of choices (including the XC1) in both OWB & IWB. I had to go to them for specific weapon/light combo because JMCK would not make it; no dig on JMCK as I have several of those holsters as well and am happy with products from both companies. I do recommend checking the lead time on the BPT before placing an order, it varies significantly.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

I just acquired a TLR7-Sub for my 365XL and it's the only WML I would consider for AIWB EDC. It's a little bitty light on a little bitty gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I just acquired a TLR7-Sub for my 365XL and it's the only WML I would consider for AIWB EDC. It's a little bitty light on a little bitty gun.
    TLR-7A works just fine on a G19 AIWB. Can't image much of a size difference between the 7 and the Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    TLR-7A works just fine on a G19 AIWB. Can't image much of a size difference between the 7 and the Sub.
    I probably should have been more specific. I meant the combo of the 365XL and the TLR7-sub.

FWIW, understanding that the TLR-7 family isn't nearly in the capability range of an X300U, TLR-1, or PL-350; what I appreciate is being able to shift carry modalities without having to mount\unmount the WML.

Altogether, I might find myself running a deep concealment setup, generic IWB, generic OWB, or overt equipment; and I might shift in and out of those throughout a given day based off of what I'm up to or what transpires. The TLR-7 allows me to jump the gun\WML pairing from bucket to bucket.

Once I get my P365XL authorized for work use, I'll add a TLR-7sub to it for the same reasons.

I'm curious to see if how much useful overlap there is\isn't between the P365XL and TLR-7sub, and the P320C and TLR-7A, as far as holster-making goes.

I definitely prefer the A-type switching, and them moving the switches further away from my shooting grip. (The one-handed pistol WML operation and momentary-on for pistol WML debates are all a wash for me.)
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    @Chuck Haggard
    @Clusterfrack
    @Chuck Whitlock
    @joshs
    @TR675
    @breakingtime91

Some of the points presented are similar to others I've seen on the forum or elsewhere before and I do not necessarily disagree with them. That said, I do not understand the "hard no" on WMLs.

My questions:
    1) Why is the defensive use of a firearm - outside the armed professions - routinely reduced to the scenario of someone trying to rob you?

2) Are tritium inserts on iron sights (aka night sights) a good idea?

3) Are pistol mounted red dot sights (RDS) a good idea?

My thoughts:
    1) I do not believe every defensive use of a firearm revolves around the perpetrators need to "see you" or be close enough to physically take something from you.

2) I know tritium night sights work exceedingly well in transition lighting where the target may be fully visible while your standard iron sights are not.

3) An RDS equipped pistol presents a unique challenge in low-light target acquisition which revolves around the issue of sight/target over match; I do not believe this is always satisfied with current auto brightness functions and instead requires the use of an external light source such as handheld or WML (I prefer WML if I'm looking down sights and on the way to shooting).

Your thoughts?
    I challenge you to find me a CCW scenario, ever, that required a WML to fix the problem, or even would have been the better option for the scenario than how it was handled.

Even as a night shift cop for something like 25 years my actual need for a pistol mounted light was extremely low. I'm not anti light, I was carrying lights on pistols back in the days when your only choice was a Sure Fire legacy light that looked like a 6P screwed into a big ass mounting on your gun, and we were still hose clamping MagLights onto long guns. I've taught LE instructor level trainings for decades on this subject.

I like gear, I like lights, but the idea that pistol mounted lights are a necessity is demonstrably false.

The idea that training with this gear is as simple as "I'd just" or a few live fire range trips is a trap that a LOT of people fall in to. I'd wager that lights on pistols combined with smooth brain LCD "training" is THE new leading cause on NDs in the police world in real life incidents.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Just for grins. Anyone remember the fad of strobe lights that paralyzed your opponent into seizures and puking! That seems to gone away.
    Because the vast majority of people had no idea how to use the strobe as the niche tool it was. Also, many of the "me too" strobe lights had the strobe rate set incorrectly. Ken Good did a lot of research on that subject before he built this feature into his first light, that everyone else then copied poorly.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I challenge you to find me a CCW scenario, ever, that required a WML to fix the problem, or even would have been the better option for the scenario than how it was handled.
    Chuck, I am having difficulty seeing your point.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Even as a night shift cop for something like 25 years my actual need for a pistol mounted light was extremely low. I'm not anti light, I was carrying lights on pistols back in the days when your only choice was a Sure Fire legacy light that looked like a 6P screwed into a big ass mounting on your gun, and we were still hose clamping MagLights onto long guns. I've taught LE instructor level trainings for decades on this subject.

I like gear, I like lights, but the idea that pistol mounted lights are a necessity is demonstrably false.

The idea that training with this gear is as simple as "I'd just" or a few live fire range trips is a trap that a LOT of people fall in to. I'd wager that lights on pistols combined with smooth brain LCD "training" is THE new leading cause on NDs in the police world in real life incidents.
    I could only “Like” this once, so, have quoted it, and declared this additional “Like.” Amen. (I worked 33+ years of night shift police patrol, in a quite busy big city.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

While maybe not a necessity, weapon mounted lights on your handgun and long gun are really nice for living, recreating and camping in areas with dangerous animals. Also desirable for those that may have a leash in one hand.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List