Thread: Sig P229 Extreme, Lefthanded shooter?

Sig P229 Extreme, Lefthanded shooter?

So I've got the opportunity to pick up a like new Sig P229 Extreme. I've always wanted one but I'm left handed and I'm worried about being left handed and working the decocker. How easy it is to manipulate? Am I going to have to role my thumb around to the left side of the pistol to decock or can I use my trigger finger? I know I'm going to end up going to the LGS to handle one but thought we might have a left handed Sig shooter on PF that knows a good technique. Thanks in advance.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ighlight=lefty

From an earlier thread. Todd's response.

Thousands of cops and agents carry SIG pistols as left-handed shooters.

Decocking becomes a matter of figuring out what works best in your hands. Some folks use trigger finger (this is what I do when running WHO) but it often requires a little surrender of grip. Others use their left thumb, rolling it to that side temporarily.

Ditto with the slide release; I tend to use my left index finger when shooting WHO but that really forces me to let go of most of the gun.

Depending on your hand size, you may want to consider reversing the mag button.

Fellow Lefty.

A friend of mine who's a lefty has no issues actuating the decocker with his index finger. He'll do it with the flat part of his finger around the second joint, and come down on the top of the decoking lever. The serrations are more than enough to catch it.

Playing around with that method with my left hand, I don't see how it'd be any trouble.

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate the input.

I have used a P220 for about 6 years now. I de-cock with my trigger finger. I think the bigger lefty issue with the P-series is the manipulation of the slide lock lever. It takes a little practice to reliably lock the slide back and forces you to release the slide overhand with your right hand during an emergency reload. Just my observations, but I still love the Sig.

I'm not a lefty but shoot left handed for practice.
    Anyway I use the trigger finger.

BTW
    I hope you get the P229 because I would love to hear about the break in.

I have a P229 in 40S&W. It turn out to be one of my favorites.
    Last edited by Rich; 10-01-2014 at 10:10 AM.

I'm not qualified to say it's the best method but back when I shot a 226 for a while I used to tip the gun to the right and come up over the slide with my weak hand thumb to decock. If shooting SHO I would decock with my trigger finger, but with my hand shape it didn't work as sboers describes, for me I needed to open up my grip to be able to bring the tip of my index finger down directly on top of the decocker.

Can't recall ever trying to operate the slide release with my left hand. If I needed to lock the slide back, I tipped the gun to the right and grasped the slide with a reverse overhand grip, with my right thumb on the slide parallel to the bore positioned such that when I drew the slide back I could raise the slide release with that thumb.

To drop a mag I kept the button on the left and used my trigger finger.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm headed up to my local LGS tomorrow to handle one. But I'm 99% sure im going to get it. It's to good of a deal to pass up and the guy selling it is my old college roommate so I trust him when he tells me he has only put 100 rounds through it and bought it in April brand new. I'm basically getting a brand new Sig for almost half the price of a new one, I'm psyched! And now I have an excuse to give JMCK more of my money!

User Tag List