Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winchester 1897 as HD Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I also HAD some newer ones that sucked, less reliable than a NEF single shot. I've sworn off new 870's for good.
    Heard that… they certainly have cheapened them up quite a bit, eh?

A couple of years ago, Pennsylvania State Police dumped all of their old 870s, and a few of the two dozen or so a local dealer got in looked to be unissued. I now regret not grabbing a couple of those.

I bought an Express Police model when I retired. It has the cheesy composite trigger group, but shoots Federal Flite Control OOB like a frigging rifle. I have put several hundred rounds through it with no issues, so I trust its reliability. I have a "modified" Beretta 390 I keep handy for an HD shotgun… but that 870 is waiting in the wings if needed.

Because it has history and a high cool factor is no reason to use it for home defense. I get the attraction, but save it for those evenings when you're setting on the couch watching The Wild Bunch. The '97 is truly cool, but it's also a real mousetrap of a shotgun. I just can't see the sense in using one for anything other than sport and recreation, especially when there are far more durable shotguns on the current market. I also recommend fixing the bayonet, if you insist on using the '97 for realsies you may just need it. You like the 590A1? I'm currently issued one that replaced the Benelli semi-auto we'd carried for twenty years. A bigger piece of shite I've never seen, mileage varies. My current HD shotgun is a 50's vintage 870 I got from my father-in-law right before his passing. It's pretty worn finish wise as it went through several family members who were neglectful gun parents, but it's mechanically sound. I wish the new ones were built as well. I have zero funds tied up in it and it has zero value as a collectable. If I ever have to hand it over for evidence it's no big deal.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-03-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List