Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boar hunting with 9mm vs .45 acp

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Try to use a known baseline, such as comparing 147gr HST to 230gr HST in service length barrels (4.25-5").

If what you're told doesn't match up with what your experiments tell you, then look closer at what you're told (9mm => .45).
    Known baseline . . . never thought of that. I was shooting 230s but I think my hunting partner was shooting 124s. That might be at least part of the answer. Thanks, Haraise.

If one is going to be using 9mm(Glock 17 124 gr gold dots) would it be generally recommended to go for headshots or heartshots?

Boar hunting with 9mm vs .45 acp

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful John View Post

Pox accepted

I'm saddened you got that from my posting. The issue was not meant to be SME credibility. The question was: since 9mm is at least as effective as .45 acp in all things, why not these two (.45 v 9mm-A and v 9mm-B) times?
    Understood, and if I misunderstood your post I apologize - I'm not the forum police and didn't mean to come across as such.

I do think previous posters are correct that anatomically people and pigs aren't really comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Understood, and if I misunderstood your post I apologize - I'm not the forum police and didn't mean to come across as such.

I do think previous posters are correct that anatomically people and pigs aren't really comparable.
    We're good. I'd hate to admit how many times I've misunderstood a communication.

If one is going to be using 9mm(Glock 17 124 gr gold dots) would it be generally recommended to go for headshots or heartshots?
    Headshots if I can get that hog organized correctly. As mentioned, the heart is further forward than most other critters. I like to break a shoulder either going in or coming out.

As for headshots, putting the bullet between the ears or slight behind, angling the bullet forward has worked for me.

Knowledge of (what ever critter your hunting) anatomy is pretty critical.

I seem to recall one of the barfcom regulars being an avid 9mm boat hunter. Suppressed full-auto, perhaps.

I've always wanted to take a pig with my suppressed 9mm AR, but I hog hunt so infrequent that it's not high on my list of priorities.

I have a theory that a 147 grain subsonic 9mm that is designed to expand at that veolocity is more effective that a subsonic 300 WTF that retains it's shape. I'd like to test that theory on some pigs sometime.

Once you cut into a boar, you'll understand how different they are from human beings. The skin/fat layer is thick and tough. I started using a razor knife to cut through the hide because it's easier to replace blades than sharpen a knife in the field. The gristle on the front of a boar isn't armor plate, but it is tough and more material to penetrate. Body hits behind the shoulder tend to exit, and you need it to trail them when they take off.

FWIW on penetration, I shot my biggest boar at a downward angle with a short barreled .338. Bullet was a Sierra 250gr SP over a starting load of RL19 and hit base of next/shoulder. Distance was 25-30 yards. The boar was DRT, but there was no exit wound. Granted the bullet was probably running in the 2000-2100fps range, but I was still surprised it didn't drive through. The same shot with a duty pistol would have been a bad day out.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I seem to recall one of the barfcom regulars being an avid 9mm boat hunter. Suppressed full-auto, perhaps.

I've always wanted to take a pig with my suppressed 9mm AR, but I hog hunt so infrequent that it's not high on my list of priorities.

I have a theory that a 147 grain subsonic 9mm that is designed to expand at that veolocity is more effective that a subsonic 300 WTF that retains it's shape. I'd like to test that theory on some pigs sometime.
    Sounds like I was right about the suppressor, sometimes full auto, and even FMJs

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...0&f=9&t=606049

More here

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...0&f=9&t=666697

The gristle on the front of a boar isn't armor plate, but it is tough and more material to penetrate.
    I dunno. Last big one I killed, that gristle plate stopped a round of OO buck pretty nicely. The pattern was about the size of my fist and we recovered 8 pellets lying on his rib cage with one solitary piece getting between two ribs. This was also the first time I recovered 12 ga slugs, usually (IME) slugs drill through and assume low earth orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    I dunno. Last big one I killed, that gristle plate stopped a round of OO buck pretty nicely. The pattern was about the size of my fist and we recovered 8 pellets lying on his rib cage with one solitary piece getting between two ribs. This was also the first time I recovered 12 ga slugs, usually (IME) slugs drill through and assume low earth orbit.
    I've only put Foster slugs in one, and not a big one at that. They penetrated far enough but did not exit.

User Tag List