Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight installation on a vp9 in Los Angeles

Sight installation on a vp9 in Los Angeles

Does anyone happen to have a good LGS/smith that will install Dawson sights on a VP9? I can't find anyone local and I'd prefer not to ship unless I have no other options.

Thanks all,
    Me

Just ship the slide to Dawson. At least you know it'll be done right.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JMorse View Post
    Does anyone happen to have a good LGS/smith that will install Dawson sights on a VP9? I can't find anyone local and I'd prefer not to ship unless I have no other options.

Thanks all,
    Me
    I feel your pain. I have a P30S and would love to get new sights. The only thing that is preventing me is shipping out my slide.

I would do it myself if it wasn't for all the horror stories / crack slides

BTW The standard glow sights on my P30S? They are growing on me. The only thing I don't like is not being able to use the rear sight to rack the slide back.
    I carry a 2 handhelds and have a TLR-1 so Im not to worried about not having tritium night sights .

First off I completely understand not wanting to attempt an install yourself. But having dealt with a cracked slide from a "pro", lead times and concerns about material being lost, I would rather do it myself. I can type up details when I have full keyboard, for those interested.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

CCT125US, I totally agree man. Last time I had a, "Gun Smith" install Heinies on a P30 he dinged them to crap. I am sick of these dudes who watch a youtube video and call themselves a gun smith. Shops around my area are notorious for hiring some schmoe out of the Army or some other service/dept. who attended a low level armorers course, got certified by Glock or S&W to work on two staple guns and call themselves Gun Smiths. If someone is going to jack something up it will be me. It's not that hard, I've managed to put sights on everything else I've owned since without issue.

A good vice, bastard file, lead shims, punch set with nylon and brass punches, as well as a wooden dowel, old leather gloves, blue loctite and patience goes a long way. If you follow the 1/3 rule, and never ever, "force" anything chances are good you won't do any serious damage.

Quote Originally Posted by JMorse View Post
    I can't find anyone local and I'd prefer not to ship unless I have no other options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    would love to get new sights. The only thing that is preventing me is shipping out my slide.
    What's the aversion to shipping the slide to Dawson? Driving around Los Angeles trying to find a "gunsmith" to install the sights doesn't sound appealing to me.

The aversion really is only about me not wanting to give it up for any length of time.

My method for intalls on the angled slide of the P series.

Minimal needed materials:
    Several paint sticks
    razor knife
    2 C clamps
    Several pieces of leather
    1500 and 220 grit sandpaper sheets
    small rubber mallet
    Needle file set found at hardware store
    Dawson aluminum sight tool included with new sight
    Loctite
    electrical tape
    cloth
    Procedure as follows:
    Since I don't feel comfortable clamping the angled slide in the vice, I fill the interior of the slide using the cut down paint sticks. I clamp the slide from the top, placing the piece of leather ( an old belt would work) between the slide and the c clamps. The paint sticks will crush some and work to distribute the force.
    The old sights can be gently tapped out, and the slide should not move if the c clamps are torqued properly.
    The Dawson front needed significant fitting. I had to remove material from the bottom, front and rear of the sight. While on a flat surface, the bottom material is removed by pushing the sight across the 220 grit paper a set number of times and smoothed with the 1500 grit, rotate the sight 180 degrees and repeat the same number of times. This balances out the pressure and ensures the sight is flat. I don't use a back and forth motion (calipers are great if you have them). I then do a test fit and remove material where needed. The angles of the sight dovetail require the triangle file in the set. While working the angles of the dovetail, I place a piece of tape on the edge of the file that contacts the flat underside of the sight blade. This prevents the gap between slide top and sight bottom when installed. Take time to think about where the material needs removed and tape off / protect what doesn't. Test fit often. I believe the Dawson vidoes suggest a slip fit 2/3 of the way into the dovetail. You can also use a marker on the raw metal to show where your contact points are. No need to remove material unless needed. The Dawson sight punch is great and any aluminum left behind is easy to get off and doesn't mar. My first install took about an hour, my last took about 25 minutes for front and rear. I verifying alignment at 50 yds before applying the loctite. No worries about cracked or lost slides.
    Perhaps not how BLR would do it, but I found this to work with very minimal tools and some patience.
    - Mike Pannone

Too late to edit OP
    The result:

Name:  tmp_20140926_233331-1159745669.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  27.9 KB
    Name:  tmp_20140926_233658552391025.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  38.7 KB
    Name:  tmp_20140926_234547-1256870820.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  44.1 KB
    Last edited by CCT125US; 09-26-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    - Mike Pannone

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What's the aversion to shipping the slide to Dawson? Driving around Los Angeles trying to find a "gunsmith" to install the sights doesn't sound appealing to me.
    I once shipped a $550 package insured with USPS and they lost it. I never received my money from USPS because I could not produce the original receipt for the parts.

User Tag List