Thread: 1-4x 30

1-4x 30

I just picked up a 16" BCM on Saturday and got a great deal on a Vortex Crossfire 2 1-4x 30. Now this will not be the final optic for this rifle as I am trying to decide if I want a red dot or a variable power scope. The issue I am having with the Vortex is finding the proper eye relief and still being able to use the rear BUIS. I have to move the rear objective so far back that it covers the rear BUIS. Maybe this isn't an issue seeing as the reticle is visible all the time regardless if I have the illuminated red dot on or off.

Is this a common issue with using a variable power scope on an AR?

Mike

1-4x 30

The bigger question is why you'd feel the need to see your reticle inside your rear BUIS in the first place.

You should be using a qd mount so you can easily remove the optic if it breaks, then flip up your rear and keep working the problem.

This is also why I like a laser as the #2 in my aiming system... Optic, laser, then irons. It's like having a dot you can throw on the target till you can have time to take off your broken primary optic.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

bigslim, you cant co-wit through a variable optic.

Just taking a WAG here, are you trying to mount a non-folding rear BUIS with a scope? That's a no-go as well.

To use back up iron sights with a scope, use folding rear and (preferably) folding front sights and a quick-detach mount for the scope. To use irons (1) remove scope and (2) flip up BUIS

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    I just picked up a 16" BCM on Saturday and got a great deal on a Vortex Crossfire 2 1-4x 30. Now this will not be the final optic for this rifle as I am trying to decide if I want a red dot or a variable power scope. The issue I am having with the Vortex is finding the proper eye relief and still being able to use the rear BUIS. I have to move the rear objective so far back that it covers the rear BUIS. Maybe this isn't an issue seeing as the reticle is visible all the time regardless if I have the illuminated red dot on or off.

Is this a common issue with using a variable power scope on an AR?

Mike
    I have the Vortex Crossfire II 1-4 VBrite Redicle on a QD Burris PEPR mount and in order to get proper eye relief it sits right over my rear MBUS.

If your rifle has a rail system, I would suggest investing in a set of off set sights like the Dueck defense sights or a QD Mount for you scope. I prefer the off set sights. Very quick transition.

http://www.dueckdefense.com/gun-sight-specs.asp
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I guess I went into it as if it was a red dot and being able to co-witness. I am using a set of BCM folding irons. When I decide what my final set up will be it will include a QD mount and maybe a small green laser.

Mike

User Tag List