Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a shotgun?

Is that at one target or multiples ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    btw: steel USPSA silhouette at 10 yards, #6 high brass (kicks as hard as Fed #00), Beretta 1301 Tactical = 8 rounds on target in <3 seconds from low ready.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Is that at one target or multiples ?
    One target.
    A shotgun "Bill Drill" of sorts.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Because a suppressed SBR was brought up earlier in this thread as being ideal for many in an urban/suburban environment. As a datapoint, what are the approximate noise levels (DBA) of, say, a 18" shotgun, 16" AR (.556), and 12" AR (or whatever the recommended setup is) with a suppressor?

I understand that noise/concussion level will vary with model of suppressor, so maybe an approximate range for the commonly available models.

I'm not an SME and I may be totally out in left field here, but here are my thoughts:

I like a pistol for investigating the "bump in the night" kinds of things. As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it's much easier to conceal when answering the door (if it's the cops, neighbors, etc knocking). My personal nightstand pistol is a Glock 17, AAC Evo-9 suppressor, Surefire X400/DG switch, 17 rounds of 147 HST. This is also the firearm with which my wife is most comfortable (she's not opposed to guns, but has no real interest in training) and I view the laser as a "this is about where the bullet is going to go" indicator for someone like her who doesn't train enough for sights to be a reality at speed/in the dark. She simply has to pick up the gun and the light and laser are automatically turned on with the DG switch.

Standing up next to the nightstand is a Benelli M1S90, 12ga, 18.5" cylinder barrel w/rifle sights. It wears a Surefire forend, holds 7 rounds in the tube, one ghost loaded on the carrier, and one in the chamber. These are all Fed LE1321B with another 7 rounds of the same on a velcro side saddle. The two rounds on the right sight forward of the ejection port are Fed Deep Penetrator slugs. If we awaken to indicators of impending violence, this is my primary weapon to secure the hallway long enough for my wife to retrieve our son and retreat into the bedroom with him and the pistol. I still have a hard time getting over the fact that with one pull of the trigger I've effectively dumped the magazine of a Glock 19 into my target (and it easily maintains fist-sized groups inside of 25yds...pic below was 25yds). Not only is a single round very effective, but I've got nine of them before I need to reload. If for whatever reason the fight moves outside and I need to disable a vehicle (maybe they kidnapped my son, who knows) a quick slug changeover should do the job. I have plenty of confidence in the reliability of this M1 through using it (with a different barrel) to shoot sporting clays and (in this barrel/mag configuration) to shoot 3-gun.

If there's some sort of civil unrest or if I just get a bad feeling, I swap out the shotgun for a suppressed 10.3" SBR AR15 with an AAC M4-2000. The rifle's magazine is loaded with 28 rounds of 55gr 5.56 Gold Dot. It wears an Aimpoint T-1 that stays turned on and a Surefire X300 Ultra. This is the more capable gun all-around, and if I knew I was going to get into a gunfight, this is the one I would want to be holding. As great as it is, I still feel that the single round wounding capabilities of the Benelli are better for a purely in-the-home scenario.

As far as armored enemies, (assuming that despite incredibly low odds, it has happened to me) it seems that the force of energy from the 12GA buckshot round delivered COM would perhaps pause his fight long enough for me to deliver a second round to his non-armored noggin. Especially since I'm shooting an auto and follow-up shots are quite fast.

Thoughts?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Thoughts?
    Don't mess with ASH556! ;-)

I concur with your need-based selections and make the same ones myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I'm not an SME and I may be totally out in left field here, but here are my thoughts:

I like a pistol for investigating the "bump in the night" kinds of things. As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it's much easier to conceal when answering the door (if it's the cops, neighbors, etc knocking). My personal nightstand pistol is a Glock 17, AAC Evo-9 suppressor, Surefire X400/DG switch, 17 rounds of 147 HST. This is also the firearm with which my wife is most comfortable (she's not opposed to guns, but has no real interest in training) and I view the laser as a "this is about where the bullet is going to go" indicator for someone like her who doesn't train enough for sights to be a reality at speed/in the dark. She simply has to pick up the gun and the light and laser are automatically turned on with the DG switch.

Standing up next to the nightstand is a Benelli M1S90, 12ga, 18.5" cylinder barrel w/rifle sights. It wears a Surefire forend, holds 7 rounds in the tube, one ghost loaded on the carrier, and one in the chamber. These are all Fed LE1321B with another 7 rounds of the same on a velcro side saddle. The two rounds on the right sight forward of the ejection port are Fed Deep Penetrator slugs. If we awaken to indicators of impending violence, this is my primary weapon to secure the hallway long enough for my wife to retrieve our son and retreat into the bedroom with him and the pistol. I still have a hard time getting over the fact that with one pull of the trigger I've effectively dumped the magazine of a Glock 19 into my target (and it easily maintains fist-sized groups inside of 25yds...pic below was 25yds). Not only is a single round very effective, but I've got nine of them before I need to reload. If for whatever reason the fight moves outside and I need to disable a vehicle (maybe they kidnapped my son, who knows) a quick slug changeover should do the job. I have plenty of confidence in the reliability of this M1 through using it (with a different barrel) to shoot sporting clays and (in this barrel/mag configuration) to shoot 3-gun.

If there's some sort of civil unrest or if I just get a bad feeling, I swap out the shotgun for a suppressed 10.3" SBR AR15 with an AAC M4-2000. The rifle's magazine is loaded with 28 rounds of 55gr 5.56 Gold Dot. It wears an Aimpoint T-1 that stays turned on and a Surefire X300 Ultra. This is the more capable gun all-around, and if I knew I was going to get into a gunfight, this is the one I would want to be holding. As great as it is, I still feel that the single round wounding capabilities of the Benelli are better for a purely in-the-home scenario.

As far as armored enemies, (assuming that despite incredibly low odds, it has happened to me) it seems that the force of energy from the 12GA buckshot round delivered COM would perhaps pause his fight long enough for me to deliver a second round to his non-armored noggin. Especially since I'm shooting an auto and follow-up shots are quite fast.

Thoughts?
    Can you assess and adjust fast enough to take advantage of the splits offered by a semi auto vs a pump? I'm not being contentious, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Because a suppressed SBR was brought up earlier in this thread as being ideal for many in an urban/suburban environment. As a datapoint, what are the approximate noise levels (DBA) of, say, a 18" shotgun, 16" AR (.556), and 12" AR (or whatever the recommended setup is) with a suppressor?

I understand that noise/concussion level will vary with model of suppressor, so maybe an approximate range for the commonly available models.
    From the website:
    For Shotgun suppressors:http://www.silencerco.com/salvo/
    dB AT EAR:
    12" - 132.0
    10" - 134.1
    8" - 137.0
    6" - 140.6

dB AT MUZZLE:
    12" - 137.9
    10" - 141.1
    8" - 145.1
    6" - 149.2

That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Can you assess and adjust fast enough to take advantage of the splits offered by a semi auto vs a pump? I'm not being contentious, just curious.
    I'm not sure how to quantify that to be able to answer your question. I guess I'll answer it like this: The semi certainly isn't going to slow me down, the pump might. With the semi, my mind only has to process "Oh shit, bad guy not down - press trigger again." With the pump, I would have to be trained to the point that cycling the action immediately following the shot was second nature. Otherwise, my thought process would have to include cycling the action. Not a huge deal, especially with training, but I don't see any benefit to the pump over a known-reliable semi, especially one with the select/changeover capabilities of the M1.
    Food Court Apprentice

Personally I wouldn't want a can on a handgun for typical defensive use. Leaves way too much handle for someone to grab, even if you tuck back into retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Personally I wouldn't want a can on a handgun for typical defensive use. Leaves way too much handle for someone to grab, even if you tuck back into retention.
    Does a long gun (rifle, shotgun) not offer the same or more potential leverage?
    Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List