Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a shotgun?

^don't try this at home kids^

I am assuming the foster slugs were lethal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The Remington Foster style slugs I have seen that had hit people were mushroomed out to over an 1" or fragmented into three pieces. All the above penetrated about what you'd expect from a service pistol launched JHP bullet. At least half of the OO buck pellets we have launched into bad guys have gone all the way through, likely well more than half.

Part of the original question was what does a shotgun bring to the equation that wouldn't be better served by a 5.56 and a .308 AR. The only thing I have seen so far that applies to me is that the SG using foster slugs is a one shot stop package without the danger of through and through penetration that harder slugs or 00 bring. So the next question is if I am going to shoot a slug why wouldn't I run a softer composition saboted slug in a slug barrel giving me the option of longer range shots.

Sabot slugs are smaller caliber, most tend to be .50 vs the .72 one gets from a Foster or other full bore sized slug. They also tend to penetrate more.

I hate sabot slugs...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I hate sabot slugs...
    Hey Doc, could you expound on that a little? I don't intend to use them as a primary defensive tool, but I do have a hunting shotgun with a rifled barrel, and have always wondered about how sabot slugs perform.

Thanks.

If I am shooting a 12 ga slug, I want the larger surface area and mass of a full caliber slug, not the smaller size and weaker construction of the typical sabot slug.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

If you have to hunt with a shotgun the sabots are legit, they basically give you a muzzle loading rifle equivalent at distance, not a bad thing, but it's not a real rifle in reach or long range capability.

At shorter ranges full bore slugs give more smack on target IMHO, for want of a better term. People argue the differences between 9mm and .40 in service pistols all day long (which is stupid), I'll submit that the difference between a .50cal bullet and a .72 cal bullet at the same speed is actually significant.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Part of the original question was what does a shotgun bring to the equation that wouldn't be better served by a 5.56 and a .308 AR. The only thing I have seen so far that applies to me is that the SG using foster slugs is a one shot stop package without the danger of through and through penetration that harder slugs or 00 bring. So the next question is if I am going to shoot a slug why wouldn't I run a softer composition saboted slug in a slug barrel giving me the option of longer range shots.
    What are you thinking as far as "long range" in home defense?

User Tag List