Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a shotgun?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The Remington Foster style slugs I have seen that had hit people were mushroomed out to over an 1" or fragmented into three pieces.
    That's interesting, there. Shootin' Buddy was telling me about a homicide case where the decedent had taken a single .410 slug to the heart and the projectile had broken into three pieces. Huh.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The .410 "slug" weighs about as much as a .380 bullet, and runs like 1600fps, so I'd be shocked if it didn't break up.

Looks a lot like this in real life too, in my observation; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oDG2i6rwjU#t=80

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Hambo, I must apologize; I just re-read what you wrote. You in fact stated "county" and I misread it as "country". I appreciate that your comment is true for where you live. Sorry about the mix-up.
    No sweat, Doc. I wondered if that might be the case. If I lived a couple hours south I'd probably be singing a different tune.

I am not sure how someone would use a bullet's supposed penetration or lack of penetration tactically. Why would an informed person want to shoot someone, where a pass through would certainly injure a person behind, regardless of the load?

Buddy of mine borrowed a .30-06 from me, for his son to use in Africa. His son shot a zebra, a notoriously tough target, using my .30-06 bolt with a hunting, not FMJ, load (most folks would call .30-06 OK to on the light side for a zebra). Bullet killed the zebra he was hunting, exited and killed the zebra behind his target. Back to shotguns, with buckshot, you have the possibility of over penetration, or a shot that misses the target and hits someone.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not sure how someone would use a bullet's supposed penetration or lack of penetration tactically. Why would an informed person want to shoot someone, where a pass through would certainly injure a person behind, regardless of the load?
    Mah point, you are missing it.

I'm not worried about someone standing directly behind Joe Badguy, but not all of us live on Moosejaw Creek in Mukluk Borough; some of us have neighbors. If there's a round that has a good reputation for messing up a bad guy but seems somewhat less likely to cause me to need to pay for spackling holes in those neighbor's walls, I'm all ears. It's not my driving concern in ammo selection, but it is something I'm moderately interested in.

Up until now, I'd never really paid much attention to slugs as even a choice in an urban setting because somehow "slug" got itself permanently attached to teenaged memories of shooting holes in stuff with Brennekes; I hadn't stopped to think that maybe pumpkin balls don't go through stuff that way because I'd never really had reason to.

Anyhow, Your Mileage, of course, May Vary.

That is a job where I still like old school non plated buckshot.

Plain lead #1 or #4 buck gets through less building materials than pistol bullets and such.

http://le.atk.com/ammunition/federal...ls.aspx?id=706

The LE127 RS (1300 FPS, reduced recoil) penetrates as follows according to the link above;

bare gelatin - 14.25"
    heavy clothing - 15.50"
    wallboard - 19"

If you hit the bullet trap directly, it won't go any further. These loads shoot well out of my 1187s (the Brenneke for punching though hard stuff) and cover all the bases I'd want to cover with a home defense SG:

Plain lead #1 or #4 buck gets through less building materials than pistol bullets and such.
    When I last actually kept a gauge for home defense, I had plain ol' unplated #4 buck in it because of... I can't really remember. Something about pattern density or something, probably.

Ironically, back then I lived on the second story of a lake house that was a lightly-framed-in box set atop a first floor that was a built-out log cabin. Sightlines in three of four directions from my second-floor dwelling could be measured to the nearest mile and mostly had trees as potential targets and the fourth direction was largely hillside. I could have used a Garand firing black-tip M2 for a housegun without much worry.

The apartment I lived in was a huge, open loft, a rectangular space probably 20 yards from end-to-end with the entrance door in one of the short ends, and my bedroom doorway in the opposite corner; a shot at someone forcing entry would have been a longish one for an indoors shot...

Anyway, back then is when I switched from the 870 to the AR.

I haven't done enough shotgun shooting in the intervening decade to make me switch back, but having played with the 870 I got for M3GI, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered it*. An added bonus would be the ease of being able to get shotgun practice in at the city pistol range or the in-town shooting club I belong to, as opposed to having to drive 30+ minutes to shoot 5.56...

*You and nyeti and LSP972 always waxing rhapsodic over the fowling piece for fool shootin' purposes is another component to that, I guess.
    Last edited by Tamara; 09-23-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Plain old unplated 00 buck will completely disintegrate to lead dust fired point blank into a cement wall. I kid you not.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List