Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Why a shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Is that even physically possible?
    You mean because 12 gauge is .690.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Is that even physically possible?
    Groups are measured from center to center, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Groups are measured from center to center, no?
    Correct. This is how rifles shoot in the .2s.
    Here is a group I shot with Brennekes at 25y from an m1014. Factory ghost rings. Would have been more precise with an optic mayhap.

Last edited by Unobtanium; 01-11-2017 at 10:29 PM.

I know how groups are measured. I was making a joke about how you worded your post -- 0.69" projectile shot into 0.5". Never mind,sorry for the off-topic (and apparently not funny) "humor".
    One never can tell online

Site Supporter
    I know how groups are measured. I was making a joke about how you worded your post -- 0.69" projectile shot into 0.5". Never mind,sorry for the off-topic (and apparently not funny) "humor".
    The word "into" did make me think that that might be what you were driving at. [emoji3]

Tom,

There is nothing funny about shotguns. Shotgun threads should be kept appropriately serious. There are a million other threads you can use as your personal comedy club. Show some decorum, sheesh. :-)

It was funny. I guffawed.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Maybe if you have enough choke on the gun?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Maybe if you have enough choke on the gun?
    The tighter you choke the gun, the more it's going to constrict your wad. It may cause your load to pattern erratically. At least with buckshot
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 01-12-2017 at 10:45 AM.

I would obviously prefer modern long gun over a scattergun but, I'm a gun person. In all reality I think a pump action 12ga with an 18.5in barrel, loaded with 00 Buck is sufficient for the vast majority of people looking to just "defend the house."

Most people are going to buy it, shoot it once or twice, load it back up and then throw it in the closet, never to be seen again until Johnny Shithead comes through the back door.

So with a pump shotgun you get:

- ease of maintenance
    - more capacity than a revolver
    - more powerful than a handgun
    - cheap

I take my shooting seriously so it's always been difficult to deal with, but, in reality most people are buying a false sense of security when they buy a gun anyways, and at best are only marginally better off with a gun than without, as at best they can barely operate the weapon on a calm square range in broad day light with no clouds in the sky, a nice gentle breeze and birds chirping.

Most people aren't going to expend the thousands of hours of time, ammunition and money many members here spend mastering a carry gun and a long gun.

Obviously the "best" solution that covers all the possible scenarios for a home invasion is a KAC SR-15 CQB with a full size QDS and X300 that you've spent hundreds of hours and thousands of rounds training and competing with, at all hours of the day... but how many people are actually going to invest $4,000 in a rifle, hundreds of hours mastering it, and another couple thousand in ammunition? The people of this forum, which in my experience represents <1% of the shooting community.

In reality, the vast, overwhelming majority of burglaries and home invasions don't turn into epic shootouts, and most typically end as soon as they meet any sort of armed resistance.

A perfect example is that video of the gun shop robbery, as soon as old gray beard started pumping rounds into Johnny Dipshit, his homeboy was headed for the door at light speed before his body even hit the floor.

Obviously it doesn't always end like that, but, for you're average friend or customer that isn't a big gun person that wants a gun for home defense, the 12ga pump is as viable and effective as anything else handled by someone with nominal training and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List