Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting left and I don't understand why

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Before you go drifting sights: Does the gun shoot left for other people?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Ill find out Tuesday. I'm going to have my buddy shoot it and see how it does for him. I have been checking out the differences in my grip between my 92 Vertec and the M&P and I feel like I give the Beretta more support hand contact then the M&P

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Fantastic advice there. Can save ourselves a lot of problems by letting someone else shoot it.

Is the top bone of your trigger finger touching the frame of the pistol when the shot is broken? For some people that gently pushes the pistol to 9 o'clock right as the trigger breaks. With a tight grip it doesn't show up as much. With a loose grip or one handed it is more pronounced.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Fantastic advice there. Can save ourselves a lot of problems by letting someone else shoot it.

Is the top bone of your trigger finger touching the frame of the pistol when the shot is broken? For some people that gently pushes the pistol to 9 o'clock right as the trigger breaks. With a tight grip it doesn't show up as much. With a loose grip or one handed it is more pronounced.
    No my finger does not touch the frame at any time during the trigger press

It's sounds like you've done quite a bit of trouble shooting. If it's not the gun then you may need an instructor to watch you shoot. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is fix a small problem on a good shooter.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

USAF422,

From everything you've said in this thread, it sounds to me (from afar, I could be wrong) like an anticipation issue.

If you have verified that you can press the trigger straight back in dry fire,

and you shoot to POA in live fire at speed,

but when you 'go slow' in live fire, POA shifts to your weak hand side,

that sounds to me like anticipation creeping in as the firing process is dragged out.

Good luck!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Ok, so it is not the sights. My buddy shot the trigger stripe and had no problem keeping it in the black at 4 yards. I'm throughly confused about what I am doing wrong. Shot the drill first time and shot it left. Then immediately grabbed my buddies glock 22 and shot it all in the black. Then immediately grabbed my M&P and shot it all in the black with no drift left. After that I showed less tendency to shoot left, shooting Claude Werners eye target my shots were landing right where I wanted. Then after shooting some faster drills I started drifting left again. Even working my support hand grip and trigger finger placement did nothing to change pulling left. I feel like my mind is whats holding my back. When I don't think about the issue I'm solid but when I think about it I feel like that translates to the trigger and Im left again. Also several times today I felt like I was "snatching" the trigger, instead of smooth press I had right now syndrome, but those shots I dropped typical low left. So I have no idea to proceed other then just shoot the gun and stop focus on the left problem and just focus on something else other then "Am I going pull this shot left?...don't do it... Come on... Just press smooth and flat.. (shot breaks)... Damn!!!). When I just "shoot" ,I seem to work better (thus better at speed).

When next you try the drills in which you are drifting left, after the first shot, with your finger still on the trigger pulled back rearmost, look to where your sights are pointed, try and feel the type of pressure your hands are putting on the frame (more pressure from the left, or the right, or side to side?), try and feel where your trigger finger is on your trigger (flat and back or slightly to one side or another, is the pad of your finger on the trigger, more of your finger, less, are you bringing pressure to bring on the gun?).

Basically, after that first shot, examine in detail what your hands are doing on the gun and where it's pointed, then compare that to how you were holding the gun before you took the shot. If there are any differences, maybe those are what makes you drift left. It doesn't work every time, as way to analyze what's going on, but sometimes it helps.

ETA: some years ago, during a drill at the range, I found my shots drifting straight left, then upon examination after the first shot, I found that I was doing a bit of pushing forward with my shooting arm, so that every shot was left of center. I don't know why I was doing that (maybe anticipation) but once I stopped pushing my arm, my shots went back to center. I'm not saying, it's what's happening to you, only that by trying to feel and recognize what my hands and arms were doing did I realize what I was doing wrong.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 09-23-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF422 View Post
    Ok, so it is not the sights. My buddy shot the trigger stripe and had no problem keeping it in the black at 4 yards. I'm throughly confused about what I am doing wrong. Shot the drill first time and shot it left. Then immediately grabbed my buddies glock 22 and shot it all in the black. Then immediately grabbed my M&P and shot it all in the black with no drift left. After that I showed less tendency to shoot left, shooting Claude Werners eye target my shots were landing right where I wanted. Then after shooting some faster drills I started drifting left again. Even working my support hand grip and trigger finger placement did nothing to change pulling left. I feel like my mind is whats holding my back. When I don't think about the issue I'm solid but when I think about it I feel like that translates to the trigger and Im left again. Also several times today I felt like I was "snatching" the trigger, instead of smooth press I had right now syndrome, but those shots I dropped typical low left. So I have no idea to proceed other then just shoot the gun and stop focus on the left problem and just focus on something else other then "Am I going pull this shot left?...don't do it... Come on... Just press smooth and flat.. (shot breaks)... Damn!!!). When I just "shoot" ,I seem to work better (thus better at speed).
    What are the sights doing before, during and after the shot? Have you tried changing the back strap?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    What are the sights doing before, during and after the shot? Have you tried changing the back strap?
    Before: standard equal light , horizontal across the top sight alignment
    During: sights track up and slightly right
    After: settle back to what I feel is equal to the before

If anything the gun feels like it recoils slightly up and right.

User Tag List