Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 700 SPS TAC

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    How far are you able to shoot in your area ?
    The 175gr seems to perform pretty well in all my 308 both SMK and OTM, had a bit of a play around with 208s as well.

Whats GMM cost per box over there ? It over $50 a box here
    At the club I belong to, 300 yards but there is opportunity for much further on private land.

I purchased a quantity of the 168 GMM a few years ago for $20 a box. It can still be found for about $25 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    From my experience, FGM is a good solid (in no wind, out of a rocking awesome gun) good for 5s. Not much better. Of course, that's shooting real groups not 3 shot "groups" and cherry picking them for forum posts.

That is what I'm finding too. After the first box of ammo through the rifle, I don't recall any group larger than .6 MOA, with the rifle now settling in to the .4 to .5 MOA range with this load. The photos of the 3-shot groups are the ones I saved to my PC at the time and still remains representative of how the rifle continues to perform.

Though accuracy remains a top objective, I'm also interested in Doc's info on terminal performance. So beyond the SMKs I'm also looking at the A-MAX and Nosler Accubond, both of which seem to provide great accuracy based on user experience I've read in various forums. Any feedback on those or other non-SMK bullets is appreciated as well!
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 09-28-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I have only shot .308 in a M-14 platform. What is the recoil like on a bolt action? How many shots is the most per session?
    Brian, recoil is definitely "sharper" and a touch stronger than what I remember with my SA M1A, but since the rifle weighs 11 pounds it's very tolerable. I tend to go to the range with some very specific goals in mind and because of that, expend my supply of ammo rather conservatively. Once I have accomplished what I set out to do, I stop - whether it takes 10 rounds or 100 to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    My first precision rifle was very similar. I went the LTR in an AICS route. Same scope and high end rings. But be VERY careful! Its a deep rabbit hole that is very easy to fall down into! Next thing you know you need a magnum, and a semi precision rifle. All of a sudden you get S&B boxes and Hensoldt boxes etc etc all over the place and a ginormous hole in your wallet!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
    LOL, truth!

I came about a mouse-click away from ordering a Manners mini-chassis w/DBM for this rifle, but decided to use the $800-plus dollars for some other projects (including my 1187 HD Premier project). Though the Manners stock would have been awesome, I sincerely doubt the rifle would have shot much (if any) better with it.

After 30+ years of this "gun hobby" I've become a little more disciplined on how I expend my limited fun money.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    My first precision rifle was very similar. I went the LTR in an AICS route. Same scope and high end rings. But be VERY careful! Its a deep rabbit hole that is very easy to fall down into! Next thing you know you need a magnum, and a semi precision rifle. All of a sudden you get S&B boxes and Hensoldt boxes etc etc all over the place and a ginormous hole in your wallet!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
    I hear you on that. I started just wanting to do a .308 bolt gun, .300WM Bolt Gun, and a 16" Quasi Battle Rifle/DMR gas gun. Now after talking to a couple friends, I'm looking at adding a .260 bolt gun and .260 gas gun as well . . . the long range bug is an expensive one to catch.

Really? FGM was always good in that is shot acceptably in a lot of guns, but I never thought it was all that hot. Those Sierra bullets just weren't up to the level that good precision bullets need to be. Bergers are a step in the right direction. I always had the best results with Fowler Bullets in 30cal.

From my experience, FGM is a good solid (in no wind, out of a rocking awesome gun) good for 5s. Not much better. Of course, that's shooting real groups not 3 shot "groups" and cherry picking them for forum posts.
    Bill, I didn't go all that awfully far down that particular rabbit hole. My inability to best FGM may say more about my reloading abilities than anything else...

Site Supporter
    Really? FGM was always good in that is shot acceptably in a lot of guns, but I never thought it was all that hot. Those Sierra bullets just weren't up to the level that good precision bullets need to be. Bergers are a step in the right direction. I always had the best results with Fowler Bullets in 30cal.

I always found FGM to be good ammo in just about any rifle I tried it in, I can't recall one that shot poorly with it.
    I really like the 175gr SMK for 308 but am now running the Bergers 175gr OTM one of my rifles just shoots it so well and the rest shoot it well enough, I'm lazy I don't like to load four different loads for four different rifles so I just find one that works well enough in all of them.

I think accuracy means different things to different people.

Bill you mentioned building 700s off factory parts, did you guys just screw factory parts together or were you able to do a bit of work to them.
    IE truing the action and cutting match chamber ect ?
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Lol, seriously? I wound up with a 21 in barrel, that lost 0.05 in in diameter. But, man, that was a good shootin 700P

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I purchased a quantity of the 168 GMM a few years ago for $20 a box. It can still be found for about $25 today.
    $25 a box for off the shelf match ammo seems pretty good to me.

I've hunted with SMK, Amax as well as OTM. They all seem to do what I ask of them.
    Just find the one that shoots well in your rifle and run with it.
    Last edited by dbateman; 09-28-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    Lol, seriously? I wound up with a 21 in barrel, that lost 0.05 in in diameter. But, man, that was a good shootin 700P
    Seriously what ?

No doubt Remington 700 rifles with GMM as a rule play well together. I have a 700LH in 243 is a B&C Meddalio stock that works well.

I have a Savage 10 FLCP-K on the way in 308. One of the last as this model has been discontinued by the new management. It has the accu-trigger, accu-stock and a muzzle brake. I am looking for the best scope under $1000 for long range shooting. I want to shoot from 500 to 700 yards. Most of my shooting will be out to 200 yards. Any suggestions? Sorry if I hijacked this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    Seriously what ?
    Was just a bit of tongue in cheek there.

I went as far as to OD grind the action, grind the receiver threads and barrel threads. There was some debate as to whether grinding the threads would stresses in the threads, or if cutting was better. Grinding gave better (more even contact), while cutting produced nearly stress free threads, but less even contact (such is the price you pay for single point thread cutting).

Was an exercise in which one of us could go the furthest overboard.

This was the group of guys that did some neat stuff like making an expanding foam propellant to ensure more consistent ignition.

User Tag List